Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How would you value a PSA 8.5?

If you were in interested in a particular card, and the PSA 8 value was ~ $800 while a PSA 9 value was ~ $2500+, how would you value a PSA 8.5 of the same card? At the mid-point between those prices? Something less?

Comments

• Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

Usually about 25-30% of the difference, in your case, (2500 - 800) = 1700 x .25 = 425. I would estimate about 1200-1300.

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

in your example i would do half the 9 price

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

What card is it? VCP can be your friend.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

'60 bob Gibson?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

It also depends on the card and the populations of 8's, 8.5's and 9's.

For lower pop stars and key cards it is not uncommon to see 8.5's go from between 2x-3x of the '8' price.

Dave
  • Options
    NYYanksFan7NYYanksFan7 Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 7:49PM

Thanks for the info. I'll post the card after it arrives.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

With VCP you should have plenty of history and sales info to have an idea. If not it will depend on the pop, scarcity, demand... of that issue. Also, some 8.5's are strong 8's and some are really 9's in the wrong holder. If I am looking at an 8.5 I want one that makes me wonder why it is not a PSA 9 but glad I am paying an 8.5 price.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

The PSA 8.5 NM-MT+ grade is and forever will be my favorite grade. There is no real formula for making a determination of value because the grade relies so heavily on the appeal of the card itself. As a buyer you must decide what truly makes the card impressive and then assume that other experienced collectors possess the same knowledge about it when you are bidding. I've paid proportionately better for cards because they look so nice. I've sold cards in the middle grade which didn't possess such pretty features and actually fell short of comps in PSA 8 NM-MT. And of course, ask anyone to compare their own 8.5 to what would typically be a larger set of examples in PSA 9 MINT, and find out how fiercely they defend their own choice.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the PSA 8.5s and SGC 92s. This is the most prevalent grade in my collection. I really think the cards are more often than not closer to the typical 9 than the typical 8.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@travis t said:
    The PSA 8.5 NM-MT+ grade is and forever will be my favorite grade. There is no real formula for making a determination of value because the grade relies so heavily on the appeal of the card itself. As a buyer you must decide what truly makes the card impressive and then assume that other experienced collectors possess the same knowledge about it when you are bidding. I've paid proportionately better for cards because they look so nice.

get outta my head

• Options
    NYYanksFan7NYYanksFan7 Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited February 1, 2017 2:05PM

Card arrived today. I really wanted to add this back to my collection as soon as possible, and this was the best "8" available on ebay IMO, so a slight upgrade for me.

ebay.com/itm/222370594405?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite cards is a SGC 8.5. Its a 1971 topps Willie Stargell. Also have a 1972 topps Willie Mays in the same SGC grade.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    TomTimTomTim Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

I also think the 8.5 is an interesting grade. Seems like quite a bit of subjectivity separating it from an 8 or 9. Coincidentally, over the last year I've been buying a few "good" 8.5s to try a little experiment. I cracked them all out and resubmitted them when I renewed my membership. There's quite a bit of upside if a couple of them get bumped to a 9, and not a huge downside if they get bumped to an 8. Grades popped last week. Guess how many came back 8.5?

NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1958 Topps 174 A's Team Checklist Card
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1959 Topps 338 George Anderson Card
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1959 Topps 563 Willie Mays All Star Card
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1965 Topps 170 Hank Aaron Card
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1967 Topps 350 Joe Torre Card
    MINT 9 1965 Topps 576 Terry Fox Card
    MINT 9 1965 Topps 577 A.L. Rookies Card
    MINT 9 1965 Topps 579 Dick Smith Card
    N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1971 Topps 400 Hank Aaron Card
    N1: EVIDENCE OF TRIMMING 1966 Topps 183 Checklist 177-264 Large Print on Front Card

I won't be doing any more experiments.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

TomTim,
    What a major bummer with the 71 Aaron. I would submit that card a couple of more times just to make sure. Good luck if you try and resubmit.

• Options

My favorite grade out there, and one of my favorite card of all time was an 8.5.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

How can a graded psa card come back the next time as Trimmed??

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@garnettstyle said:
    How can a graded psa card come back the next time as Trimmed??

I asked myself the same question when I cracked a PSA 5 card and sent it in, came back trimmed. I have zero faith in cracking cards out and resubbing them.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 8.5's. One of my favorite grades

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to agree with the 8.5's being a favorite. I am always looking for ones that look closer to a 9 than an 8. Here is one my favorite 8.5's.

• Options

8.5s are off the hook

• Options

Better image of one of my all time favorite cards. Had to let it go to get the rookie so not too bad of a trade.

• Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

PSA 7.5 & 8.5 are my favorites as well for a lot of the same reasons listed above. Price is 30-50% of the next highest grade, and a lot of times, you cant't find a reason why it isn't graded higher.

An excuse to show some cardboard!! EXAMPLES!!!

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since we are showing off our 8.5s I'll add some to the thread. I'll keep with the Brooks Robinson theme that rugbymarine started.
    James

• Options

Sweet 59 Brooksie there!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

To the OP.

VCP averages on that card:

8.0 = $760.00
    8.5 = $1,180.00
    9.0 = $3,400.00

So in this particular case you can see the price of an 8.5 is much closer to an 8.0 and nowhere near the price of a 9.0. Other cards may be quite different.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Thanks for the VCP data. I paid $1450.00, so quite an over-pay if that average is from the last 8 to 10 months when card prices spiked. However, if that 8.5 data goes back a year or more then maybe $1450 is reasonable under today's market conditions. Either way, I'm just simply glad to have it back in my collection and not have to chase it down again.

• Options

Are we really going to put this thread out to pasture? Vámonos!