Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1973 Topps rack pack (first series ) with 4 HOF - update pack is no good

cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
edited February 4, 2017 12:28PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Looks like a very cool pick up. I believe this is an authentic first series rack. Experts can opine on authenticity and value. I am going to sent it to Steve Hart . update Steve says it's no good -resealed.

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.

Comments

• Options

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. That should bring a nice payday.

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

wow, that is an amazing pick up if real. congrats

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

The header card with the cross-hatch punch is correct.

Please post some close-up pix of the inter-cell seals (front and rear views). The resolution of the current photos is not sufficient to tell if they are the wide seals used in the 54 card racks from 1970-1973 or the thinner seals that started in 1974.

Dave
  • Options

• Options

Added pics

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

WOW Doc ... hoping it is deemed authentic by Steve. If so, that should bring in a nice penny!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seams between sections in racks from the early 1970s resemble a tire thread and are thicker than those you'll find in late 70s racks, but it is also important to note that the "pebbles" found in these seams, which kind of resembles a tire track, were typically more pronounced in racks from 1970 through 1972 in comparison to those found in racks from 1973. 1973 was a watershed year for Topps, as they they launched the all series format in advance of the 1974 season, which also witnessed a completely redesigned rack pack that year, both in card count (42 vs 54) and header card design (Topps had used the same card count and used the same header card from 1970 through 1973, which is why the product code on the header card still ends in -0). The reason for the wider seams in these racks vs late 70s racks is the card count~these racks were packaged to hold 54 cards (versus 39 cards in the late 1970s).

As to the authenticity of this rack, it is difficult to make a definitive assessment based on these pics~how do the seams on top and bottom of each section appear? Any signs of tampering there? I hope it is authentic.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Thank you for the erudite explanation. To me the upper and lower borders of each cell appear sealed pretty tightly

• Options
    edited January 28, 2017 5:23PM

Just saw the additional photos you posted~There is some wear to the cellophane in the rack and by extension, the seams, too, but the seams in the first few close up pics look good to me. It's tough to say for sure without examining the rack in hand.

I also think it bodes well that the person you bought the rack from as part of a larger lot did not realize the significance of the item or that it was at least a star pack. A resealer likely would have made an effort to market the rack as such.

Good luck on the authentication.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing if real.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Dave and Tim tell you it is good I would say you are safe - two of the best out there anywhere. Also, sweet rack with Aaron and Clemente showing on the front!

KC

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

As stated it is very tough to tell by scans. I am attaching a 73 rack already authenticated by Steve. It seems that the crimps between the cells in my rack are a little different from the crimps in the OP's rack. I had 9 authenticated by Steve and 3 that did not pass inspection. As you know a resealer will slice open the top part of the rack and insert a star card. Or they can slice it between the cells and insert then re-crimp. They cannot duplicate the machines that Topps used back then--so thats why the crimps at top or between the cells will be different.

As Dave said - look for tire tracks-- the crimps should all look like the one at the end of the rack where Billy Champion is. If your crimps look like that one--you're golden. Same as in my rack

I am also attaching a pic of a 73 rack with Schmidt on top. It was in a in a GAI slab at one point--but did not pass Steve's inspection. If you look at the side of the rack where Schmidt is the crimping is clearly different from the other cells. I think Steve said Schmidt was in the wrong section too.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2017 11:15AM

It should also be noted that the seam (or "tire thread") at the very edge of the rack is thicker than the ones between sections. The last cell or section is also the most common one that is tampered with for the fabrication of a star pack. (Most resealed 1980 racks, for example, in which the Henderson RC has been inserted have him located in the far section~same with 75 for Brett or Yount. All of those cards should instead be found in the header section of a rack pack.) Topps also began packaging racks with a collation of cards corresponding by section in 1974 upon the advent of the all series format. However, there are also known anomalies to standard collation for most years from that point forward, too. Such anomalies are typically uniform throughout the original box or case.

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck with getting that rack authenticated. If real, it is an unbelievable rack! (that's what he said)...when you update this thread you should change to title to.....its real....and its spectacular! :smiley:

• Options

MantleFan23 - "Mulva?" :D

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2017 5:44PM

@KendallCat said:
    MantleFan23 - "Mulva?" :D

That would be Sidra KC! ;)

I know my Seinfeld like Dave and Tim know their unopened!

• Options

I am thinking of setting up the Merv Griffin set at the National. If I do you are my first guest - of course after Jim Fowler because everyone loves animals. Now back to installing a garbage disposal in my shower before the Pro Bowl starts!

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope it comes back as authentic. If it does not, will you be opening it ?

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

This rack reminds me of several 1973 racks (among about a dozen in total from 1970-1975) that I examined in GAI holders at National in 2014. One of them I purchased one of the 1973 racks. I'll try to post a picture of that rack when I get a chance later this week. BTW, the 1971 rack on eBay right now (it's been there a while) with Tom Seaver showing on top was one of these I reviewed and I quickly passed on it (and recommend that anyone considering it find something else to be interested in).

Let me share some news that you may find encouraging about your rack. The rack I purchased at National in 2014 had Brooks Robinson on top in the cell next to the header card, and Hank Aaron on top in the middle cell. Same cards in the same cells that they show in your rack (and not involving the cell furthest from the header which is the most likely one to be tampered with) is a good sign. The seals in your additional pictures also look like they should (as best one can tell from the picture). The fact that all of the visible cards are from the same series (series 1) is also a good sign, as is the correct cross-punch on the header card.

I'm crossing my fingers for your review by Steve. As Tim said, its very hard to give a definitive opinion based solely on photographs, but I think you have good reason to be encouraged.

Do you happen to know if the person you got this rack from had it for a while or was it a more recent acquisition (in particular after August, 2014)? There were several 1973 racks in the batch I examined with Aaron showing. I'll go through my pictures and see if any of them had the same cards showing.

Dave
  • Options

Very good info, David.

I also think the fact that this rack was among a number of items in a larger lot by a collector who had these cards in storage for many years (assuming that story is accurate) also bodes very well, too.

Good luck.

• Options

Apparently the person had this item and some cards in storage for several years ( was his fathers stuff) , and sold it to me with a small collection of cards.

• Options

Don't know that it will help, but I have been spending a lot of time in the Chicago area for work and have dropped by Steve's place a few times. I'll give Steve a call and ask him if he wants me to bring my B Robby/Aaron rack to him for comparison purposes.

Dave
  • Options

Dave - you going to finish that project soon or what? Been over a year on that one! At least we know you will be at the National :D

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Nice to see others trying to help others for no gain at all. Just trying to help.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options

Bump

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Did I read the updated title right? No Good? What was the issue?

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

Send it to atlas ...they think its authentic.

• Options

sorry to hear--but that's exactly what I thought.

I hope that rack has the same fate as the 3 in my collection that were deemed NG--open that baby up and get another bad rack off of the market. I opened the one with Schmidt rookie on top. That card is out for grading

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear that. Any details we can learn from?

• Options

@FirstBeard said:
    Sorry to hear that. Any details we can learn from?

read the prior posts. all were on point and all are present in this rack as well as the bad rack that I posted. all relate to types of seams between cells and location of the star cards in the cells

• Options
    edited February 7, 2017 5:26PM

I believe in this particular case it wasn't the seams between sections but the seals on top of the cells.

Collation for cards in cells is different for series racks vs all series racks (1974 and later). There are also racks with multiple series in different cells for 1973 and earlier racks but all cards should be from same series in their respective cell.