Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Retail Buyer Beware - Topps Chrome Blaster Box Scam

I just bought some 2014 Topps Chrome Football Blaster Boxes as a cheap weekend rip. A couple of boxes in, I opened a sealed blaster box that had 4 1988 Donruss Wax Packs inside. When I looked closer at the box I realized that the wrap didn't have the small Topps logo printed on it. I saw this once before at Walmart when I was about to buy a 2015 Topps Chrome Mega Football Box. One of the front packs dislodged when I was walking to the register and it showed 1990 Score Baseball Packs behind it.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

That's a good heads up.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

that sucks man. where did you buy these?

• Options

Just return the bad box and because its shrink wrapped non collectors would have no clue they just put it back on the shelf. Just lame! I bet they could find who is doing this by when it was returned.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    that sucks man. where did you buy these?

I bought it from one of the big online box sellers. I sent them an email with the pics, I bought 10 boxes and asked them if they could just send me one box to replace this one. I told them that they should check their inventory to see if there are any other resealed boxes in there. Based on the quality of the shrinkwrap, this looks like a professional job and not just some kid playing around. You can see how tight the wrap is around the box.

Mike
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Had it happen at Kmart. I bought 4 Blasters of 2010 Topps. Got em home and realized one did not have Topps shrink. I returned it and explained the deal, they returned it no prob. Now I wonder what was in there.

Good luck

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

I don't know what's scarier - Gwyneth Paltrow's melon staring back at me or 4 packs of 1988 Donruss Baseball?

Mike
  • Options
    AstrodomeAstrodome Posts: 35
    edited January 30, 2017 9:55AM

A ways back, I bought some retail box at a Target. Ended up going through a couple boxes and they were all (I assume) resealed with crap dumped inside, football cards and baseball that didn't belong there. Got a refund of course. Amazing the lengths people will go to.

• Options

Got a response from the seller and they will be sending a replacement box. Good news for me.

Remember to look for the topps logo on the factory seal before opening. I have a feeling that there could be a lot of these boxes floating around.

Mike
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vintagefun said:
    Now I wonder what was in there.

Schrodinger's Cat.