Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

R.I.P Mr. Rosen. A true legend in the hobby. I grew up idolizing him as a collector.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2017 3:00PM

RIP Mr Rosen... His 52 Find was amazing. YouTube it.... it's a must see.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Wow. He was "the man" when cards went nuts in the late 80's. Never met him but his impact on the hobby was special during that period...very sorry to hear this

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2017 9:45AM

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Saw him in November at the Shriners show in Boston. He was still trying to buy everything he could. He did look very weak and lost some weight compared to when I saw him last. RIP

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Bought a 1951 Topps Redback panel set from him for $400 way back when. Good deal for me. He'll be forever remembered for the '52 find. RIP

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Yup. When we did business with Al, that briefcase was full o' dough and he loved fanning out those Benjamins just for show. Knock 'em dead in Heaven dealer man. RIP.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw him at the old Jim Hawkins show in Plymouth, MI. He had a table right in front of the entrance with a stack of cash. When he bought something he would make a show of peeling off the bills.

He turned down my five pages worth of 1984 Don Mattingly RCs. Instead I was chased by every other dealer in the room. Those were the days.

Mike
  • Options

There was a time when the FASC concept might have led to his doorstep as he regularly claimed to have a warehouse full of everything! :D

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

From Beckett website. "The sports card industry has lost another icon. Alan “Mr. Mint” Rosen passed away Thursday, Jan. 26, after a battle with leukemia. It’s believed he was 71."
    http://www.beckett.com/news/alan-mr-mint-rosen-passes-away/

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

71, too early, RIP

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was an interesting contributor to a burgeoning hobby and will be remembered irrespective of the narrative.

Rest in peace Mr Mint.

Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

A true legend!! Never spoke to him personally, but did see him at one of the Nationals and I think he came to a Gibraltar show here in Michigan.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

RIP Alan. Having sad that he became very unhappy with the hobby over the years IMO. His demeanor at shows became more and more surly. I tried to talk to him at a show in RI 10 years ago with my 10 year old daughter and he sent her away in tears. I stopped buying for him at that point.

But he had awesome product in the late 80s early 90s--and I got some of my most treasured unopened from him over that span. I saw him in RI last February and it was clear he had limited time on this earth

Condolences to his family.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

sad news

RIP

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

@flatfoot816 said:
    His demeanor at shows became more and more surly. I tried to talk to him at a show in RI 10 years ago with my 10 year old daughter and he sent her away in tears. I stopped buying for him at that point.

Don't take it too hard. He made a lot of adults cry, too. When they realized that they had just let go of control to a professional hustler. ;)

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2017 8:44AM

What in the world did he do to make a 10 year old girl cry? Not good. There is a 5 or 6 part youtube series where he fleeced an older Wisconsin man of an impressive collection. The way Alan carried himself in that video came across as though he fancied himself as "big league" and he was quite condescending to the man. That video really put a bad taste in my mouth.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

As I got back into the hobby, I loved that he advertised he'd be at a show with his "briefcase full of cash" The first National I went to show I had a bunch of cards to get graded, and he asked me what I was I was selling. He told me when I was ready to come find him. He had 8x10's of him with him flashing those hundo's, I almost asked him to sign one.

RIP Mr Mint.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    What in the world did he do to make a 10 year old girl cry? Not good. There is a 5 or 6 part youtube series where he fleeced an older Wisconsin man of an impressive collection. The way Alan carried himself in that video came across as though he fancied himself as "big league" and he was quite condescending to the man. That video really put a bad taste in my mouth.

I remember seeing that some years back, pretty bad. That poor old guy got taken.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP, Mr. Mint.

He was definitely hard to miss at the shows. Always front and center with those $100 bills fanned out on the table.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is mandatory viewing for anyone seriously considering getting into the vintage game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXNgJXt7cMY

https://youtube.com/watch?v=PXNgJXt7cMY

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

Duj bagesh.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2017 4:55PM

Sorry to hear. RIP.
    I can see him in a better place now and the first thing they hand him is a pack of Sweet Caporal smokes with a Gem Mint Wagner inside.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

He is just so rough on those sets. Dropped the jersey like it was a piece of crap. Did the guy ever find the 63 Rose??? Holy mackerel

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Video made me sick to my stomach.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was disrespectful to that man and did not handle his cards with respect either. Had I been that man's son, and mint treated my dad that way he would have been rapidly and vigorously shown the sidewalk.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I felt really sorry for the guy in that video. He really got taken advantage of.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

A lot of mixed emotions were stirred by Al but he did it his way and did it well! RIP

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

i would kicked him out after the first set. he throws a 53 mantle at his friend. what a jerk

# 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

I had never seen those videos before. Hard to watch.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disgusting individual. And hope the old man is doing good.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭

At least he commented some of the cards were "beauties" while he bent the guy over a barrel. Hope the old man is still OK and c'est la vie to Mr. Mint.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

It always makes me wonder if that was all an "act" and part of the "show". Acting like a big leaguer, treating others like peons, or if the guy was just a real A-hole. I realize he was in business to make a profit, but what if the old timer, decided he didn't like the price ? After he threw the jersey down, possibly in oil, I would have said, never mind, it's time for you to go. Mint keeps saying "oh well" it's still worth 1K. I'm a sucker for a nice guy, I guess. Guy's like that I would never sell anything to.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman