Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looking for recommendations

I am looking to replace my old printer/scanner system and wondering if it is better to go with another combo or purchase an Epson V600 and separate printer. I wouldn't need a top of the line printer, only b/w printing for when I create shipping labels. Scanner performance is paramount, my HP just isn't cutting it.

Comments

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

A separate scanner is generally better quality than an all in one. The all in ones usually lack the CCD technology that allows you to scan a 3 dimensional item (like a PSA slab) and not end up with a blurry card or blurry flip. Epson, is what I have and I have no problem recommending it. I have had my Epson for more than 7 years and it still scans well.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jason

Epson as well for me. Does a great job and easy to use. If you have any nicely centered Mantle or Aaron cards send them to me and I will scam, I mean scan them for you ;)

KC

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Jason ... I have had an Epson V300 for MANY years and it still scans GREAT!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Jason - I just purchased the V600. I love the thing. Plus it is fast! I have been posting a lot on ebay recently and yesterday I made front and back scans of over 50 cards in less time than what my old scanner did doing 10 cards.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are any of you using the Epson scanners with a Mac? I had an Epson years ago and when I switched to Macs it would not work. Just wondering if the bugs are now ironed out.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ugaskidawg said:
    Jason - I just purchased the V600. I love the thing. Plus it is fast! I have been posting a lot on ebay recently and yesterday I made front and back scans of over 50 cards in less time than what my old scanner did doing 10 cards.

This is exactly my problem Brent! I could list 100's of cards, but with taking a few minutes per card and terrible quality it isn't worth my time. It will only be a matter of time before it pays for itself.

Thanks for the input gentlemen! Donato thanks for breaking it down as I didn't know that the technology was that difference was that great. And KC, I am still holding out for you to get tired of your '53 Mick!

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jason,

You're welcome.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@maddux69 said:

@ugaskidawg said:

This is exactly my problem Brent! I could list 100's of cards, but with taking a few minutes per card and terrible quality it isn't worth my time. It will only be a matter of time before it pays for itself.

Thanks for the input gentlemen! Donato thanks for breaking it down as I didn't know that the technology was that difference was that great. And KC, I am still holding out for you to get tired of your '53 Mick!

I hear you Jason, but you will not be disappointed with the outcome. Best scans I have ever had. The V600 has the CCD technology and the scans turn out beautifully. So it is not only fast, but quality is high as well. What I did too is took a little bit of time tinkering with the configurations in the beginning to make sure I liked the output. I had the help of some other folks here and on other boards, which was great too.

Here is a comparison...

My non-CCD scanner:

CCD scanner:

• Options

@maddux69 said:

@ugaskidawg said:

Me too - if I find a replacement for it or my original PSA 8 from 1999 which would be a PSA 8.5 today. I did have a few new pickups this week to my collection that I am excited to get in hand - will post them on the board shortly.

KC

• Options

What a difference the V600 makes, still have some tweaking to do. I am sure you can tell which is which. :)

I need to find a way to scan with a dark background without leaving the lid completely open.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some have said you can put black paper in it with the lid closed. If you leave the lid open with the lights on you get a pretty dark background but if you want pitch black just turn the lights off when you scan and leave it open. I love how cards pop in the scans when it is pitch black.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I have double sided taped a black piece of paper directly to my scanner top.

Works great

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    Some have said you can put black paper in it with the lid closed. If you leave the lid open with the lights on you get a pretty dark background but if you want pitch black just turn the lights off when you scan and leave it open. I love how cards pop in the scans when it is pitch black.

Works every time.

• Options

I know I have asked this before on here - hopefully someone can tell me. There used to be an issue with the Epson scanners and Macs being incompatible. Is anyone using this scanner with a Mac? Looking to verify it works properly.

• Options

I use a Mac with my V600, be sure to use the scanner through the Mac software rather than downloading Epson Scan. This is a recent scan with black poster board affixed to the back(thanks guys!)

• Options
    edited March 18, 2017 2:39PM

Thanks Maddux - now I know I can get one and get the great results everyone else is.

• Options

I prefer to keep the lid open. Gives the scan more depth and is not as washed out. As long as you don't have overhead lights on, you can still have other lights on in your house and it is still a pitch black background

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

I use a Canon Canoscan 9000f mark ii and really like it. It too is a ccd technology scanner and does a great job. Here's an example:

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Black paper attached to the scanner lid works great for me.

• Options

@new again collector said:

@KendallCat said:
    Jason

If you have any nicely centered Mantle or Aaron cards send them to me and I will scam, I mean scan them for you ;)

I guess KC's scanner doesn't handle Clemente's well, since he didn't mention him. My V300 scans Clemente's great, so feel free to send those my way instead.

Send me some nicely centered 1955, 56, 60, 65, 71, and 73 Clemente's and I will scan them for you :D Love those issues.

KC

• Options

Nice Clemente. Really wished I could have nabbed that PSA 7 about a week ago on eBay. What a monster and it sold for a premium and rightly so.