Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1952 Topps AUTOGRAPHED set in pictures, not for the faint of heart!

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

The next card is one which is very tough to find signed. He was paired with Rizzuto at SS in the Minors, and many, including Rizzuto thought Priddy was a better fielder. Apparently his hitting, and attitude didn't help matters, as he was asked to be traded from the Yankees, as he did not get along with future HOF 2nd baseman Joe Gordon. When he moved to the Senators, he met an 11 year old Maury Wills:

From Wikipedia "Wills later recalled that the Senators had sent Priddy to help with a playground baseball clinic in the African-American section of Washington. Wills recalled, "It was the very first time I had ever looked a white guy in the eyes." Wills was impressed that Priddy didn't just stay for 15 minutes and leave. "The man talked to us for at least two hours, and I just couldn't believe it. Priddy even singled me out. He told the other kids to move back and said, 'Watch this kid.' He bounced a grounder to me, and I got my little feet in place, grabbed the ball, and I took a little hop – just like the guys I'd seen playing on Sundays. I threw it overhand to him, and the ball made a loud pop in his mitt. I still remember what he said: 'Wow!'"Priddy looked down at Wills' feet and said, "Hey, kid, you've got a chance to be a good baseball player one day. Where's your shoes?" Wills recalled he was barefoot.

In 1973 he was conviced of extortion, and went to prison, and passed young in just 1980. His autograph is rather difficult to find, and I believe he always carried a pen with him for autographs. Many of the signed cards you will find have this same type of ink, which doesnt translate too well onto the glossy Topps stock.

The highest of just 4 graded, in his typical ink

28 Jerry (Gerry) Priddy

• Options

Next up was a feared power hitter with huge Biceps! A 4x all-star, who had his number retired in Cincinnati, he will always be remember as a Sleeveless Red

"Ted Kluszewski joined the Reds in 1947, he cut off the sleeves of his uniform, much to the chagrin of the Reds' front office, an action he took because the tight sleeves constricted his large biceps and shoulders and interfered with his swing. "They got pretty upset, but it was either that or change my swing — and I wasn't about to change my swing", said Kluszewski"

He stuck around baseball until 1986 when he had a heart attack, and passed away in 1988. I believe his autograph is often overlooked as he is not in the Hall of Fame. He is a widely collected very popular player, and passing in '88 makes him somewhat difficult. A solid 3.5 with a sharpie signature

29 Ted Kluszewski

• Options

Our next subject is relatively easy to find, however I still haven't managed to find a playing days signature. All long time Red Sox Pitcher from 1947-1956, which in his final year he threw one of just three no-hitters by a red sox lefty. A 2x all star and former red sox announcer, passing in 2012

30 Mel Parnell

• Options

The next card has another interesting pose. Zernial was one of the most feared sluggers of the 50s. He joined the AL leaders in Home Runs for the 1950s with Berra, Mantle, and Larry Doby.

"Zernial is featured in one of the most unusual baseball cards of all time. His 1952 Topps card shows Zernial holding a bat that has six baseballs attached to it. This photo recognized that he had tied an American League record by hitting six home runs in three consecutive games from May 13–16, 1951. The day after the picture was taken, he hit his seventh home run in a fourth consecutive games."

Billed as the next Joe Dimaggio, coincidentally The "handsome" young Zernial was chosen to pose with rising star Monroe in a movie-studio publicity shot. DiMaggio was so struck by Marilyn in the photo, as well as so envious of Zernial's opportunity, that he asked the rival outfielder how to reach Marilyn

Zernial pased in 2010, and was a great responder through the mail to his fans, and his signature remained strong. He is relatively easy to find, but a popular card, making it worth more than a common player.

31 Gus Zernial

• Options

Next up is a 4x all star and world series champ in 1948. He has the distinction of playing for all 8 of the original ball clubs. A great signer through the mail, he is easily found on a 1952 card

32 Eddie Robinson

• Options

A HOF pitcher, and one who traveled the show circuit signed many items in his day. Spahn was a 17x all star who threw two no hitters. Although he lived until 2003, finding him on a 1952 card, with an older signature is a bit tougher. Many people had cards in awful shape signed, as they didnt want to "ruin" the sharp ones!

One of the nicest I have come across

33 Warren Spahn

• Options

Our next player seems to have been a journey man in his playing days. He did set the major league record in 1960 with 91 pinch walks! After 6 teams, he found his niche as a scout for the Phillies for the next 13 years. Passing in 1990 make him pretty tough to find, as well as not a very memorable player who was long forgotten.

34 Elmer Valo

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Love the Gus Zernial card with the six balls on the bat ! As I said before , I'm not
    familiar with the '52 set ..........and that card is very Cool ! Keep em coming !
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ted Kluszewski has a great looking sig. :+1::+1: This is another favorite for me.

I also like the look of the Eddie Robinson.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@robby I've been really busy at work and fell behind. Trying to add as I have time

@divecchia thanks, tough to find in decent shape, constant upgrading

Our next batter was a feared slugger in his day. A 2x all star, 1952 mvp, HR and RBI leader know as "the Mayor of Wrigley field"

He is somewhat difficult to find, as he passed in 2001. Although this is a psa 1 with tape stains, I just feel in love with the Ballpoint signature

35 Hank Sauer

• Options

Debates can go on and on abut our next player whether his is HOF worthy or not. An 8x All star, 3x world series champ, and 3x glove glove awards can't be overlooked. The Veterans committee will vote again next year, and I believe he is on the ballot.

A long time Brooklyn and AL Dodger, as well as Manager for the Mets first world series makes him extremely desirable. The card features a gorgeous horizontal pose, adding to the allure of owning a 1952 signed card. He passed suddenly in 1972 making him very tough to find. One can expect to pay at least 1k for any signed copy of his 1952 card.

35 Gil Hodges

• Options
    edited March 12, 2017 8:19PM

Nice looking sig for Gil Hodges, it's a beauty!!! :+1::+1:

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options

Thanks Donato, his is really tough find, and then try to pry out of the hands of a collector!

Our next Dodger speaks for himself. The Duke of Flatbush was a great signer, and appeared at numerous shows throughout the years. I have a nice Ballpoint signed copy I need to add to my set, but here he is nonetheless. An 8x all star and elected to the hall in 1980

37 Duke Snider

• Options

Next up we have a favorite of TTM seekers for a very long time. Even at 96 years old, it looks like he is still responding to requests! Utility man for for quite a few teams, and a one time all star, his modern autograph is easily found. It does become a little more difficult to find a vintage ballpoint signature of his. Many players find it easier
    to use a sharpie, or even a marker, as the get old.

38 Wally Westlakee

• Options
    edited March 27, 2017 8:36AM

The next player is very popular with Tigers collectors, and passing in 1972, one of the toughest to find in the set. A long time veteran of the Tigers organization, his career had it's ups and downs. He was out of active baseball by 1952, making the 52 Topps his last card. He was an announcer, and tried a come back in 57, but failed. He passed away at age 56 from stomach cancer, but his son, Steve trout pitched for 12 seasons to keep the family name in the game.

A gorgeous psa 4, pop 1/1 with none higher

39 Dizzy Trout

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

I'll say it again, I love this thread. I hope you don't get discouraged at the relative lack of comments. I assure you I enjoy each and every post.

Amazing that Westlake still responds at 96 years of age. I recall looking through the baseball encyclopedia that he had some nice years with my Pirates in the Ralph Kiner era.

A question for you. I've seen cards with the facsimile auto erased in the nameplate and then the player actually autos the card in that same spot. Is this more desirable? Less desirable? No difference. You're just glad to have it autoed at all? Also, generally was this done by kids in the 50's or was it a more recent phenomenon?

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

By all means, keep em coming. I just love seeing these autographed cards.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@mrpeanut39 Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy posting and researching each player as a way to stay in touch with my collection. Yes some of the name boxes have been erased. With some players, you take what you can find! I'd say it is less desirable, as psa USUALLY marks the cards authentic.

• Options

Our next batter is also still signing! It's amazing some of these guys have lived such long lives. A five time world series champ, I'm sure he has some great stories. A nice horizontal pose, with a vintage ballpoint signature

40 Irv Noren

• Options
    edited March 29, 2017 6:05PM

Another couple of great sigs, Ted! :+1::+1:

All nice looking pen sigs, the "Dizzy" Trout is my favorite from the last few. Nice score that it's a pop 1 also.

Donato

• Options
    edited April 11, 2017 8:34AM

The next batter is one of those long forgotten players. Playing just 4 games in 1948 and 11 games in 1950, the rest of his 25 year career would be spent in the minors! A pop of 2 with none higher , passing in 1994 before through the mail(TTM) seekers really started hitting the PO.

41 Bob Wellman

• Options

The pitcher facing us next is often found with a later in life signature. After 10 years in pro ball, he became a golf pro. Passing in 2007, he was a favorite of TTM seekers

42 Lou Kretlow

• Options

Another pitcher we find very rarely, is our next player. Having just one topps, and one bowman card, as well as passing in 1982 make him very difficult to find. Being a 1952 World series Champ with the Yankees, also makes him a very desirable autograph, although he is pictured in his red sox uniform. One can expect to pay a couple hundred dollars if you can find him. A pop of 1 with none higher

43 Ray Scarborough

• Options

Another Pitcher who faded into obscurity faces us next. With a one week tenure, including 3 strikeout, 2 losses and an era of 9, he was long forgotten by everyone! Apparently he did sign TTM up until his death in 2006, however having the notion to even look him up, was probably missed by many people.

44 Con Dempsey

• Options

Our next player is one who had a 17 year playing career. Although he had a high strikeout ratio, he also had over 100 walks in 6 straight seasons. He also turned over 200 double plays at SS in 3 straight seasons. A favorite of TTM seekers, and passing in 2011 make him a bit easier to find on a signed gumcard.

45 Eddie Joost

• Options

Our trip through the 1952 signed set continues with another obscure player. Although he played 13 seasons, only 200 games were at the major league level. Only have two cards issues, 1952 and 1953 topps, and passing in 1996, make him somewhat difficult to obtain. I believe he may have carried one of these felt tip pens with him to sign, as it appears most of his signed cards are in this type and color of ink.

one of one, with none higher

46 Gordon Goldsberry

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

Love em Ted! 25 years in the minors for Wellman? Oh my goodness the bus trips. I'll look at that card differently every time I look at it. Great stuff here and stories. Thank you.

• Options

Man great collection. Love the history with the cards. Very many knowledgeable members on here. Good luck with the rest of your collection. Tom

• Options

Thanks for the kind words guys

@Piggs Wellman showed true dedication to the sport. I'd imagine he would have made the same $$ as a postman or similar back in the day. Many of these players had winter jobs, as baseball just couldn't support them year round.

@bigphilly welcome to the boards, and yes there are some very knowledgeable people here

Our next batter apparently was Affectionately known as "Puddin head", though he was on the top of his game. Leading the league in fielding 5 times, he pushed the 1950 phillie "Whiz kids" to their national championship. Although he played in MLB until 1961, and passed in 1984, his autograph is very tough to find, and is highly desirable. A few can even be found signed as "pudding head"!

The highest grade with a pop of just 3 total cards

47 Willie Jones

• Options

The Yankees pitcher up next is one of the extreme rarities in the set. The first "closing pitcher" in baseball, a 3x all star and 2x world series champ, Page was one of the best in his league. Having left baseball in about 1950, although he had a brief stint with the prates in 1954 for just seven games, and passing in 1980 make his very difficult to find. Apparently he was hard to locate, or just didnt like to sign as only 2 specimens have been graded by PSA.

pop of just 2 with none higher

48 Joe Page

• Options

Ted,

I really love how the Joe Page sig is almost identical to the facsimile auto that's printed on the card. I would think that may be and early signature from Joe.

Nice score on this card. :+1::+1:

Donato

• Options

Come on Joe Page! 7 letters in your whole name and you didn't sign much, too bad. Great card.

• Options

@divecchia Page is a beast on any item. I have to wonder if there is one of the sain bio cards floating out there signed by Joe!

@Piggs Seven letters, but you can read it! unlike todays players who draw a squiggle and charge $100

Another Yankee pitcher is up next, though he is famously remembered for his name while with the Braves, Spahn and Sain, pray for rain. Living until 2006, he was readily available through the mail for many years. A 3x all star and amazing 6x world series champ, he is often found with a sharpie, later in life signature. After his playing days, he coached with various teams for almost 30 years!

A nice older ballpoint signature

49 Johnny Sain

At this time, I am also adding a variation, though it is a later in life sharpie, there are not many of these found. The last of which sold north of 1k

49 Johnny Sain-Page Bio

• Options
    edited April 28, 2017 9:08AM

Our next player, is another of these extremely obscure players who vanished after his playing career. Sy Berger was apparently trying to sign anyone he could for the low series cards, and saving all the big names for the high series. A journey man, who ended his MLB career in 1950, and having passed in 1978, he is one of the toughest in the 52 set to find.

The only black back graded

50 Marv Rickert

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding thread. Proof that the internet still sometimes contains tremendous quality content. What collecting is all about on great display here. I'd pay to subscribe to this thread. Love the write-ups, too. Highly educational. Thanks for providing this content.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

@DM23HOF Thanks Brutha, it's the sharing of knowledge I believe that helps others get into the hobby.

I've been busy and haven't had a chance to update

A coal miner from Pennsylvania, Russell had Rheumatic fever twice as a child. I'd guess his biggest claim to fame was being traded fro Danny Murtaugh ( a notorious non-signer) in 1948. In that year he contracted Bacterial endocarditis, brought on by the rheumatic fever he had a child. By 1952 his disease had severely hurt his career and was back in the minors. Though he was a scout for the dodgers and senators until 1965, his passing in 1987 make him a very tough autograph.

A vintage ballpoint with none higher

51 Jim Russell

• Options
    edited May 31, 2017 8:45AM

Next up is a 2x all star and world series champ with the 54 Giants. A favorite of TTM enthusiasts, it's hard to believe it's been five years since he passed in 2011. A relatively easy one to find, though I haven't seen a vintage ballpoint

52 Don Mueller

• Options

Our next pitcher is one of those guys Sy Berger must have just added because he would agree. Pitching in just 44 games in his career, and just 9 in 1951, he is one of those long forgotten players. I believe he was out of baseball entirely by 1952, and not much is known about him. His passing in 1992, a brooklyn dodger, and his less than memorable career make his a desirable, and hard to find autograph

53 Chris Van Cuyk

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite threads. Keep them coming. BTW great article in SMR.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Some nice looking sigs, Ted. :+1::+1:

Donato

• Options

I love the obscure players of the '52 set. Gave it a little more spice. Great cards Ted.

• Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭

Wow. I'm not even sure how long it's been since I last posted here. In fact I needed to reset my password to just say - AWESOME! What a collection posted so far.

Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

I was hoping to see another autograph picture ...................as it has been since May 31st
    of the last one ! Please don't stop now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options

Thanks for the posts guys, I have been really swamped with work and life but WAS able to add TWO more new high number to the collection, both the highest gradrd of just 2.

• Options

@Piggs said:
    I love the obscure players of the '52 set. Gave it a little more spice. Great cards Ted.

To my limited knowledge, Sy Beger was so focused on building a huge base of players, he'd sign anyone. Id have to think thats why there are so many randoms.

Also, the high numbers being "an after thought" is non sense. It loaded with all the possible post season teams and managers and that alone should have e couraged sales. It is LOADED with Giants, Dodgers, Yanks, and Red Sox. Including a FEW managers from each team.

• Options

Up next is a player who has the distinction of being the first MLB player to play in Japan. Oddly enough he just made 16 starts in 51 and never played in the US until 1954. This was of no importance to Sy Berger, trying to sign anyone to build his 407 card set. He passed in 1984 making him somewhat difficult. Anything under a $50 is probably a bargain

54 Leo Kiley

• Options

Our next batter is probably best known for having a son, Bob Boone, who also played MLB. After Ray retired, he became a scout for the Red Sox for the next 30 years! A great TTM signer, he is easily found, though somewhat difficult to find his black back with green front signed

Ray Boone

• Options

Only play about 400 games, and ending his career in 1953, our next player was probably long forgotten. When the advent of the internet, and in turn ebay and baseball address lists began circulating, you can find some of the older living players with more modern signatures easily. Though Passing in 2004, To find any signers with bold vintage ballpoint, is always a challenge, and sometimes the card might not present as well.

56 Tommy Glaviano

• Options

A few more really nice sigs, Ted! I really like the Glaviano sig. :+1::+1:

Keep them coming!!!

Donato

• Options
    SlipCSlipC Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

Ted - Amazing thread buddy. I've got about a third of the set signed myself but your collection dwarfs mine.
    Your TTM experiences are similar to mine and it was the reason I had so many of these signed 6-8 years ago.
    Chatting with ballplayers from this era was priceless.
    Unfortunately, many of them have passed now.
    Yogi, Feller, Roberts etc.
    Slip C.

It's been a long, long time!