Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

One For Each Year set update OFEY

MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
edited March 22, 2017 6:46AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Wow, it's hard to believe that I started this collection three years ago. My first thread about this potential set was 1/17/14. Looking at where I am today vs three years ago assures me that I will never "finish" it, therefore it is perfect for me. The set has grown and changed over the years and continues to change as I find interesting/beautiful coins. I have put the focus on the last 300 years, roughly, and try to have it all PCGS. Also, it is mainly focused on crown sized coins, even though I do have some others because, design-wise, I could not get (or just loved the particular coin too much) a bigger/better version. As it has come together, I have started to replace any proof coins and will replace any gold coins as replacement coins are found. So, as you can see, the set kinda morphs and grows and retraces and etc, etc, etc. So, as I sit here today and take stock of the set and the last three years, I see some interesting facts about it and where it will go in the future.

-The focus of the set has become more narrow as time passes (as many of you have suggested along the way). The parameters that I started with were generally a coin that I wanted which also fit into some sort of date set. Today, I would say I have come to the conclusion, that based on my likes and the growth of the set, these have become the general guidelines.

"Quantifiable" values

1750ish to 2017
Circulated, no Proofs
Crown Size
Silver
PCGS

"You just feel it" values

Representative of a Leader/Country/History that I find interesting
Uniqueness, Artistry, Tone, eye-catching, wow factor

With all that being said, here are some interesting facts about where the set is today.

There are 268 potential dates between 1750-2017. The set has 73 (61 PCGS) coins currently - 27.24%.
The average grade for the set is 59.37.
There are 8 coins in the set for the last 43 years (1975-2017)
There are 7 coins in the set for the first 43 years (1750-1792)
There are 8 coins that are part of my whole "dawn of coins 'til today" set from 147AD - 1749.
There is 1 coin from 1824-1864 (this was really interesting to see considering I'm a huge fan of 1800's history).
From 1929-1939, every date is filled and has 8 "backup" coins.
From 1952-1974, only 6 dates are open.
32 of the 73 coins in the set are between 1923-1939 and 1952-1974.
17 of 73 coins have alternative dating for the year minted

Finally, I wanted to mention the fact that this forum has been instrumental in the growth of this set and my knowledge of all world coins. The beautiful pieces of art that have been displayed by the members here have inspired an interest in certain coins/areas that I may not have known about. In addition, the comments and opinions here are always helpful and always heeded when thinking about collecting and building collections/sets. So, please add any comments (positive/negative/neutral) that come to mind. I would rather learn from the boards than from my wallet.

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/showcase.aspx?sc=2422

Comments