Home Sports Talk
Options

Any Manny Ramirez fans?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, the unpredictable (whacky), once upon a time left fielder of the Red Sox just signed with the Kochi Fighting Dogs of Japan.
I doubt ESPN will be covering Manny, at the age of 44, he's kinda done.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I loved Manny until his tenure with the Sox ended, once he faked an injury and didn't play in that Yankees series I was all set with him, I actually couldn't stand him after a that and still don't like him. Previous to that I put him ahead of Ted Williams but that honor goes to Big Papi now.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

I tolerated Manny when he was a Red Sox because he was entertaining, but he was really a horrid person to like. Given his lack of effort at times, complete disregard of the Jimmy Fund and other Sox charities, and douche bag behavior at times to staff and "little people", I can care less what he's doing these days. Getting caught with a steroid masking agent in his system didn't help either. Considering how hard and long he tried to play his way out of Boston, I hope I never see him again.

• Options

Hard for me to put either Manny or Ortiz ahead of Ted Williams!!

Having seen Ted play in Fenway and recognizing his military contributions, when he could have opted for a cushy job in the military, gives him special praise from me. Oh yeah...pretty good hitter too!!

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

He took too many Mexican supplements

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lifelong sox fan. I tried of mannys shtick by the end and his PED use sealed the deal for me. As hitters, Williams is in a whole other ballpark than Ortiz.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ted Williams was so good he is still the greatest "living" hitter years after his death.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    edited January 24, 2017 7:34PM

Say what you want as far as Ted Williams being better in any fashion than Ortiz and I won't go to war over it. Teddy Ballgame as we know him was as close a thing to an American hero concerning baseball greats. He fished, he was an outdoorsman, ect..AND he was a real combat veteran who lost the best 5 years of his career because of it, we all can agree on that. But when it comes to bringing home Playoff wins that resulted in Red Sox World Series wins Ortiz has him beat across the board. So in MY opinion when your comparing all time greats that have World Series rings against another who has Zero the edge goes to the guy who has rings. Even Manny has that over Teddy Ballgame but he turned into a spoiled scumbag so that erased anything he did in regards to an all time great.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a ridiculously unfair standard to judge Ted by given how much easier it is to make the playoffs in the modern era. Ted's teams would have made the playoffs many, many more times under the modern system. That would have offered him a lot more chances at playoff success, some of which he surely would have cashed in.

• Options

Paul...

I will respectfully agree to disagree. I don't think you're comparing apples to apples, more like apples to cranberries.
    I don't care to dissect the opinions, and I certainly don't diminish Ortiz's contributions to the Red Sox fortunes.

However, I will say, that mentioning Ramirez as in ANY WAY better than Williams is too much for me.

• Options

AL like I said I wouldn't go to war over it much less even argue a fellow Sox faithful like yourself. I guess I'm selfishly looking at the 3 titles we got with these guys, I will say this that if I was going to build a Sox team from scratch then Teddy Ballgame would be my #1 pick without question. Back to the original topic my answer is NO I don't have any love for Manny.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

When TW played there were no playoffs. The top AL team played the top NL team in the WS. TW was better than Ortiz and Manny shouldn't even be mentioned in the same anything as Ted!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with DM, so I know there's absolutely no debate to that one, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    I agree with DM, so I know there's absolutely no debate to that one, lol..

Thanks.......I think. B)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with DM too :o

I'm worried he's been hacked

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a Manny fan here. I know the Red Sox fans are happy he helped them end the drought and win 2 World Series but him and Big Papi blatantly cheated to make it happen and without those two, they would not have those WS wins. Still, if I were a RS fan, I'd take it - there's plenty of cheating to go around. At least Manny got suspended twice while MLB looked the other way with Ortiz. As a Yankee fan, I know ARod was a big cheater as well and I'm not naive enough to think there were no others on the Yankees.

Daniel
  • Options

I think PED's killed the ability to objectively rate and compare players.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I think PED's killed the ability to objectively rate and compare players.

I agree totally. Don't have facts or stats, but the MLB union's position on PEDs has permanently damaged the sport. This ongoing coddling of these massive ego people playing a kid's game for untold sums of money is insane.

As a side note...Paul has his position on the MR topic and we (me included) have posted ours. Paul's position is not the most popular in the thread, but he is certainly entitled to his thoughts. Paul is for sure one of the more stellar posters here and is held in high esteem by many, of which I'm one. I say...let's move on.

Go Pats!!! And, I live in Atlanta :)

• Options

Thanks AL! And I duly noted everyone's opinion in this thread and I certainly respect all posts. Definitely looking forward to the Sox thread this year buddy!

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Royals fan, I have never liked Red Sox or Yankees but I actually appreciated Manny in his prime days with the Sox. At that time, he was the best hitter on that team, maybe the best pure hitter in baseball (Pujols might have had something to say about that).
    Manny was a different breed of cat but he loved to hit and in my mind, probably the best hitter I ever saw with two strikes in the count. It might have been his personality but I saw many at-bats where it seemed to me he was intentionally getting to two strikes because he thought he had a better idea what a pitcher would throw with two strikes. And Manny could hit any pitch.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.