Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1953 Morocco, Essai 200 Francs

I have been on the look out for a nice "special" example of the design used on Moroccan coins across several years. Zohar brought this one to my attention from a dealer in Paris, France who I have dealt with before several time. I pulled the trigger!

1953 Morocco, Essai 200 Francs (mintage 1,100)

Interestingly, there are 4 of these graded SP68 by PCGS, and they have consecutive serial numbers. Two have been sold already by the dealer in Paris, and I presume he is the dealer who submitted all four of them for grading. I'm sure it's a bit of bias in my opinion, but I think I got the nicest of the bunch with attractive toning on both the obverse and reverse. Note, the toning in hand is more "golden" and less red-shifted than the PCGS slab photos, but I'm definitely happy with this as the example of this design in my collection.

-Brandon
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Comments

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I Like em

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2017 8:42AM

Love those Moroccan coins! The French Territory coins are pretty neat.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a beauty!

I have also recently taken a liking to coins of the Islamic world. I haven't yet pulled the trigger on any though.

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Beautiful. Yes, Morocco coins are incredible. A recent purchase - a much more modest Essai than yours however. :'(

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷