Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German States - Frankfurt - Silver Ducat - 1790 - Possible Pattern?

GERMAN STATES - Frankfurt - Leopold II (1790-1792) AV Ducat. 1790. LEOPOLDUS II•ROMANORUM IMPERATOR, laureate bust right / FELICITAS PUBLICA, altar. 1.8g, 23mm.

I'm wondering if this is PN-42, the silver equivalent of KM-277 ? Any comments, suggestions, theories, etc. are welcome.

danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."

Comments

• Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I'm really surprised that with all of the knowledgeable folks on this board, nobody has a comment or opinion on whether this piece is a pattern or might even be a contemporary fake. :o

danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2017 10:43AM

It is PN60 and looks ok to me. I have one slabbed. KM-277 is correct.

3Mark

I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Thank you 3 Mark :)

danglen

My Website

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2017 11:13AM

Interestingly, Atlas has one for sale (http://atlasnumismatics.com/1039399/ "atlasnumismatics.com/1039399/")
    This are not really patterns, but off metal strikes given out at the coronation of the Holy Roman Emperor in Frankfurt.
    The rarest ones were struck in copper. I collect Frankfurt.

• Options

Danglen:

See my answer in this post and I think I answered it with lots of info. I have it and Atlas still has it in gold and silver.

3mark

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I like the design on that one.

I find it interesting that it was struck in 3 different metals. You would think gold would be the most scarce, but those were obviously tucked away over time as being special. Any idea what the total mintage is for something like this?

• Options

Brent:

I have no idea, but this is probably the second most common of the type behind the 1817 silver ducat and two ducat on the 300th anniversary of the Reformation. These off metal strikes were issued whenever the new HRE was crowned in Frankfurt, so there are a lot of different dates and sizes. The type that you got gold, silver and copper depended on your status I am told.

3Mark