ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58 BN

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, here it goes. On the chance that I am very wrong, please accept my apology ahead of time as my intention is no other than to say what I sincerely see on the coin. despite it being graded by our host.
    Grade IMO AU55, perhaps 58.
    Die Crack and large Die chip between the E and I in DEI. this is a known and relatively scarce Variety.
    and here comes the issue I have with the coin. As attractive and nice as it is, I have an uneasy feeling about it, as I have seen 1858 forgeries before. The Date IMO, just does not look right, especially the squished 8s.. Also the area around the Nose is different, but perhaps another die.

a coin with the DCR and chip in DEI is listed in Mike Mashalls "Fake Chinese Coins" CD. ( available from Mike directly for $ 40)
    Attached is a comparism of 2 very similar coin ( no DC on DEI)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2017 12:01PM

As YQQ stated, there are 1858 counterfeits out there, but based on what I see in the photos, I am pretty sure this coin is genuine. The obverse and reverse die cracks are correct and sharply defined. The 1858 fake I have seen has a similar, but slightly different, die crack in DEI and no die crack just under Victoria's ear.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL if it's no good PCGS owes me ,,,,lol

• Options

thanks Rob
    did you notice the Vine in my coin? ICCS did not.

• Options

I did. OA2/RA3.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

• Options

I think Smitty's coin is in the AU range, 50-55 depending upon the day at our host.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

53 Brown

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's definitely legitimate since PCGS would not give it a certification number if it were counterfeit. The image is mighty tough to interpret since the coin is so dark and the image cannot be blown up for evaluation, but I think I see enough wear on the hair in front of the bun, over the forehead and before the ear to say it is no higher than a mid-grade AU. Also, the cheek looks to have the beginning of a plateau on it, which to me would suggest a low-grade AU. Lastly, even though some red remains, the TrueView images are likely overplaying the color so I think it would definitely be a brown coin. Overall, I will go with AU53BN, but would not be shocked with AU50BN and might be mildly surprised with AU55BN.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2017 5:40PM
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

55 seems reasonable

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

Am very curious now.
    how would you guys grade mine?

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

The "full-vine" is about a 50, but luster/surface looks off .... cleaned?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

58 BN

• Options
    edited January 22, 2017 8:56AM

Am not sure if it actually has been cleaned. Definitely Not cleaned by myself. Perhaps some time ago., unfortunately as it would otherwise be a great example of the rarity.
    I think there are not too many " handfuls" around. :)

• Options

Now that I can see the coin better with the larger images, and the grade is also posted, my initial impression is that it was graded on the slightly conservative end of accurate. Is the spot in front of Victoria's ear really visible in-hand? If so, and/or if the myriad marks within the reverse field are obvious in-hand, then the coin might have gotten docked for these.

• Options

@YQQ said:
    Am very curious now.
    how would you guys grade mine?

YQQ, I think yours would have a details grade of AU53, but it has definitely been cleaned beyond the point of certification in a problem-free holder at PCGS, which is a darn shame.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

YYQ - AU Details

• Options

Smitty's coin is catalogued in my book as obverse die OB2 and reverse die RB1, one of the most common 1858 die pairings. However, copies from the late die state displaying the big die chip at the E in DEI are not common at all. An AU example is a very nice coin.

The obverse die OB2 is interesting in that it is one of only a few 1858 obverse dies that has a die crack not starting or ending at the rim. If you look closely at Smitty's coin, you can see this horizontal die crack just below the Queen's ear.

I catalogued the dies that minted YQQ's coin as obverse die OA2 and reverse die RA3. Only three 1858 reverse dies had an intact maple vine and sixteen intact leaf stems, of which RA3 was one. I agree with other posters that YQQ's example is AU harshly cleaned, but still a very collectible coin.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

So, what are the price ranges for these coins? I have an early version of Smitty's coin (XF 40-45 probably) that displays all 5 die cracks, but they are just little baby cracks.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

CCN Trends currently at $245CAD

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay