Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Impact on relevancy of grading in the digital age

Is unlimited access to current and historical numismatic information increasing or decreasing the need for a numerical grading system?

Think about it first... and then post your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2017 10:42PM

I guess everyone is still thinking.

Your question isn't 100% clear to me, but I'll give it a go anyway. Perhaps others will follow.

If the intent of your question was could we go to a descriptive grading system completely exclusive of a numerical qualifier, meaning a grade such as VF but not VF 25, VF 30 OR VF35, I would say we could. Essentially, we have it now. When looking at raw coins, or even guess the grade, we quickly scan the coin and determine, within short order, that it let's say VF. We do that by quickly accessing that the coin is better than say FINE and yet not AU quality.
    At that point we begin to assign a numerical grade, but we could just as easily say it's a VF- or a VF+, or just straight VF, using no numerical indication of grade.

I guess the numerical value is for added precision.
    A CAC sticker adds potentially even greater resolution to the determined grade.

Now if the intent of your question was whether, or not, all of the info on graded coins that is available to us with a few simple key strokes and mouse clicks, by searching through past auction sales history as an example, has essentially made the need for professionally numerically graded coins less important, as there are plenty of examples to base a grade decision on, then I would have to say no. There are other factors that are equally important to assigning a grade that the TPG provide, such as weeding out counterfeits and problem coins.

Most likely though, I haven't understood your question whatsoever, and both my thoughts are wrong. But perhaps I'm not alone in being confused.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file