Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS modern/regular turnaround times suffering after the show

Is it so? I intended to send in a submission but hesitate to do so now.

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent in my Centennial Quarter and Half this week and they listed 20 day turnaround. Now says 21 days. So no, it doesn't appear as it has increased dramatically.

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@younique said:

Sending in a submission now and having it delayed because of a show nets the same result as waiting longer to submit and having it processed more quickly.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are always shows,,,,,,,, the quicker you send the quicker it will return :)

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@panexpoguy said:

@younique said:

Sending in a submission now and having it delayed because of a show nets the same result as waiting longer to submit and having it processed more quickly.

except fees & costs being tied up longer. not everyone is a collector that can wait 2x-3x as long.

much is being sold raw in lieu.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has definitely slowed substantially and not just for moderns. I'm waiting on a regular submission that was received on the 17th of December but not logged in until the 20th. Early this week, posted turnaround times took a decided turn for the worse. To make it a bit worse, I sent in an express submission on Monday, it was picked up on Tuesday, and it is still not even logged in yet, so the clock hasn't even started.

Tom

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't the 2017 SAEs out? I can imagine that would slow moderns quite a bit.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back up to 38 days for Economy, Not this sh** again.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

@DollarAfterDollar said:
    Back up to 38 days for Economy, Not this sh** again.

You do realize this is the busy season? Why don't you send in your coins during the quiet times? Skate to where the puck will be ...

Over 60,000 2017 SAE's in the pop reports already. Things are humming in the grading room

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 2016 I had 10 submissions. I already have one in 2017.

There is never a good time and summer was suppose to be their slow time but turned out to be the longest delays in years.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

Express = 16 Business Days. That is absolutely Insane. Are we really doing this AGAIN!? Second time this year that submissions hit the brakes completely.

Samuel Shafer
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crap... I had a hand full of coins to send in, I wanted to take advantage of the quarterly special. Maybe it has to do with the quarterly special and 2017 ASE's being graded.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbtunr said:

>

You do realize this is the busy season? Why don't you send in your coins during the quiet times? Skate to where the puck will be ...

Over 60,000 2017 SAE's in the pop reports already. Things are humming in the grading room

You do realize this is a coin board right? Not yahoo finance.

ASEs don't affect regular or Econ times.

This time last year I had an Econ sub and a reg sub shipped in the same box. The Econ posted the day after the regular which was only 14 or 15 days or so.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

My coins have been in there for two months and are not done yet but they can do 60,000 New Eagles that just came out? I know where I stand in line.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each day you keep your submission at home in a box, is a day longer before you get them back.

• Options
    newcollectnewcollect Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I have been collecting/selling coins for 40 years, my number one advice to myself since day one when I get in "the Coin Zone" is to be Patient or get out of the hobby/business. If I don't ,I sell to low and buy too high,or send off a coin that never should have been sent off for grading.

Don't forget about the attribution and True View times, weekends and holidays and the day after the order was received,these are all clearly explained on the web site. My orders come within a day or two as expected.

NOW FOR SOME FUN TO TEST YOUR PATIENCE:
    How many times do you click your submission number on your orders page ?

When its first received (we all do this to make sure the order is right)
    After a week
    After two weeks
    Once a day
    Twice a day
    Three times a day

Huh, I just realized I have no patience i'm a three dayer when i'm expecting my order, but i'm still here !

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

There are other choices for coin grading.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes there is. But when a contractor tells you it will take a week and you know if you deal with some you know they are saying 4 weeks. But after the 4 weeks go's by you start to think why did I go with them. When I deal with some Company's I know it will take a bit longer then others. I own a Co that if you call in and we are dispatched we will be at your location in 20 min if your within a 20 mile radius and 45min to 1hr pass that and so on. But I will give you a time and you can make your decision to dispatch or not so when I see a time frame I take it to hart and when it's not met I get a bit bent just a little bit. I know it's not a life or death thing like what I do but it's still the "Professional" thing to do when giving a time frame to try your hardest to keep it.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2017 2:42PM

They don't really have too much of an incentive to improve turnaround times. They have a premium product that people are willing to wait longer for. After all, the turnaround times for the various services are estimates.

If they were truly dedicated to sticking to their "estimated turnaround times", they would offer a money-back guarantee. I don't see that happening.

I'd guess that their bottleneck is the grading. However, it is difficult to quickly ramp up capacity in this activity due to the necessity of such a specialized skill. Still, I think adding permanent graders to lower peak season turnaround times and create "super service" during less busy times would put PCGS far ahead of any competition (in terms of customer satisfaction, however they measure it), if they can find the talent.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@newcollect said:
    How many times do you click your submission number on your orders page ?

I'm not sure why people are still having to do this. PCGS should have an automatic email or text status notification option. Unless of course everyone likes checking 3 times a day >:);)

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2017 11:00PM

After 27 days once awaiting modern submission have to admit a number of clicks.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doggonit . .

I had one received on Jan 11. . . . hoping to take to a show on Feb 10.

Guess you are telling me not to worry about it??

I have been checking every day . . . realizing I am insane . . . but hoping nonetheless.

Anyone with an idea of when I can expect an Econ back . . . I would love a PM . . . .

Drunner

• Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Drunner, you may well be ok. My experience was only on one occasion a while ago. Point was I had a trigger finger after 27 days, but PCGS was still within their guidelines.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

My problem is not with the turnaround times but with the accuracy of the product. I have mechanical errors that need to be corrected. I called customer service last week, they told me to e-mail them with photo's of the problems. Sent the e-mail no response. I'll wait a few more days and If there is still no response, I'll take my chances mailing them in.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:
    My problem is not with the turnaround times but with the accuracy of the product. I have mechanical errors that need to be corrected. I called customer service last week, they told me to e-mail them with photo's of the problems. Sent the e-mail no response. I'll wait a few more days and If there is still no response, I'll take my chances mailing them in.

I had the same issue and got a similar non-response. So, I just sent them in and they took care of them pretty quickly, and for no-charge. I did pay outbound postage, however, since I didn't wait for any approvals, and since I was sending another grading package in anyway. Still, I received prompt and good corrective service.

Tom

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason I don't like submitting for others is primarily due to getting a call every week, wondering if the coins are back, yet. In a coin geek chat room sorta way, I feel his anxiety.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I upped an economy to regular; by the way they permit less than five coins in economy submissions at PCGS unlike NGC. The long express waits are startling to say the least. Most dealers I know go with the cheapest submission option, it's not like they sell coins like hotcakes after they come back.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file