Home Sports Talk
Options

SI Cover Jinx

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that Brady is on the cover of this weeks SI there is zero chance the Pats will beat the Steelers now :s

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't really believe that has anything to do with anything do you!!!!

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

I believe it...........fingers crossed

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2017 11:54AM

Look at what happened to Gronk when he stupidly allowed himself to be on the Madden cover! SI put Kraft on the SI cover before the '11 Super Bowl and look what happened :'(

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

I am generally not a superstitious person but I do think the SI cover jinx is true! History is a good gauge and the jinx has happened thousands of times. No, not 100% of the time but a heckuv a lot!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Paul...we got this, not to worry. Between the stomach flu and playing at Foxboro, etc, we go this!

The Atlanta paper this AM had SIX pages of rah rah on the Falcons...not even one line about the Pats game.

I say, go Pats, go Packers !! Enjoy the games.

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

I think the cover jinx can be attributed to guys having above typical performances that land them on the cover, and then they eventually regress. Or, because only one team can be the winner, so the odds are stacked that everyone on the cover who isn't associated with that one team, will be viewed as a flop.

But really, with Michael Jordan being the all time leader of cover appearances on the SI cover, it is pretty safe to say that the cover jinx is just for fun...like the goat curse for the Cubs(Cubs had an SI cover before their championship this year too).

The Pats may not win it all...but Jordan didn't all the time either. I would view them along those lines, instead of a Vince Young.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2017 7:52AM

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around does it make a sound ? nobody reads sports illustrated anymore unless they are in a dentist office . The number of dentists that mindlessly subscribe to a long dead magazine is not enough to sustain a curse :D

As for Madden , I still play Madden 93 on Sega once in a while , Thurman Thomas TD for the win !!!

Seriously though , is there anything dumber than the yearly sports games? Go to the salvation army and look at playstation or Xbox games 100's of 2001-200x madden or golf or hockey baseball basketball? that no one will pay a dollar for , utterly worthless yearly bug filled updates to the same damn game .
    Future archeologists will be finding truckloads of them in landfills and question our sanity

• Options

I am absolutely pumped to see my all time favorite poster Skin chiming in! How the heck are ya buddy! As far as the SI cover goes I am not happy about it and I do think the Pats will lose but either way it is what it is regardless of the outcome, I just hope they play good football and don't give the game away and show up like they did against the Texans. GO PATS!!!!!!!! :)

• Options

Regardless of any sports consol out there, no game will ever be better than Nintendo Ice Hockey!

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Blades of Steel was the best - better than Tecmo Bowl

Could be right about the jinx - wouldn't be happy to see Brady on cover either. SI is still a viable product.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@estang said:
    Blades of Steel was the best - better than Tecmo Bowl

Could be right about the jinx - wouldn't be happy to see Brady on cover either. SI is still a viable product.

I thought Blades of Steel was the Rickie Bobby and Napoleon Dynamite figure skating movie

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blades of Steel, Mike Tyson's Punch Out and a bong were an intregal part of my child rearing years

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Tecmo Bowl was a classic, Bo was the MAN!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perkdog- So much for the SI cover jinx, the Steelers didn't even
    make it interesting.

I hope the Super Bowl is a close game.

• Options

I promise I will never bring up the SI cover jinx again

• Options

Atlanta must have been on the cover

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

I'm more concerned about the Madden jinx than the SI one. Brady was on the cover of SI when he won SB 38. He still went on to win SB 39.

• Options

Brady is not foolish enough to be on the cover of Madden

• Options

Ok I was way wrong, Brady will be on the cover of Madden this season :s