Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Amazing price for Australian commemorative florin

Australia minted a two shilling commemorative for the Elizabeth II royal visit to that country in 1954. I have an uncirculated copy of the coin, not in particularly high grade, but the design (a kangaroo and a lion side by side on the obverse) is attractive IMO.

I have been debating getting it graded, but was never sure the cost was worth it. So, it was with considerable astonishment that I noticed that Heritage sold a PCGS 66 copy in its most recent auction - a coin estimated at $80 to $120 - that went for $1900 before commission!! PCGS has graded 277 of this type, with only 4 in 66 (and none higher). Two of the four 66 copies are in Registry sets.

I suppose this is just another example of how much the market likes high grade coins. Or, perhaps it's just an outlier?

Someone with better skills than I might want to create a link to the coin; it is lot number 35468 of the Heritage January 17-18 world coins signature internet auction.

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing... I would not have been surprised if it were the Melbourne in 66. Come to think of it, I think I have submitted one of these that I thought was nice... Can't remember how it graded doubt it was a 66

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

A lovely coin but $1900? I think I paid $12 for mine in nice AU.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree, it seems to have been some kind of bidding war for a "top pop".

It's not a collector attitude I personally can relate to, but then, it only takes two of 'em. And it's certainly not a thing that PCGS is going to be complaining about.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • That price is in line with one sold in Australia and another offered on eBay. That the auction suggested a price of $80-120 is shameful as a MS65 will go for at least double that figure (I paid over that for my best one 6 months back and also paid about $150 2 years ago for a MS64+) with about 25 available so for a top grade with only 4 available it is an easy 4 figure coin. This 66 doesn't have much eye appeal, I like toning but this one has uneven colouring.