Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Publication Question

Hey, I am wondering if anyone else has heard or has an opinion on whether or not the Standard Guide to Small Size US Paper Money will have a new edition any time soon? I have inquired of F/W media with no reply. I recently sent a new note S/N to Scott Lindquist for verification. He suggested that maybe F/W has sold the copyright to this publication? Anyone know or hear of such action? Would figure in today's world money talks. Someone, the competition, would buy the rights for whatever outrageous price. Then stuff it, just to make sales of their publication go up.
BTW, pics of said note are below. If anyone knows if this is an unrecorded S/N it would be good to know.

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

Great note, I love the narrows!
    Very cool high SN. Thanks for sharing.
    Shoot I'd love to buy the rights and publish a new edition! :)

• Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2017 8:58AM

I asked this question some years ago and apparently the 10th edition was the last edition. There was not an explaination why, as I recall, but others on this board confirmed it with Mr. Schwartz in person. I, too, had 1934D (narrow) news, and did manage to get it to him prior to the printing of the 10th edition. But after the 10th, kaput.

I found a 1934D (narrow) Cleveland Star, of which none were listed in Schwartz at the time. I emailed him a picture of that, earning a quick, "Wow, what a rare note" email response. The 1934D (narrow) Cleveland star that is listed in the book was my note.

Later, found another and for fiscal reasons sold the first one, once I found another in better condition. So at one time I owned the lowest and highest serial numbers for that note. Here is the new low number, which, because Schwartz stopped printing, I can't get listed. So I feel your pain.

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. My followup question would be what would a reliable book be for reference and pricing? I have no problem at all using the 10th Ed. for information, I find it rather useful. But I do know the pricing is a bit aged.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2017 5:32PM

Great question. I have been told, when I ask that question to scour heritage or eBay archives. In short, there really isn't a book any more.

Mike
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Well now, "ain't that a nice howdydoo"! :D

• Options

Yeah, that was my reaction as well. Truth be told, the 9th edition of the Schwartz's prices were way too high, even for the year it was printed (07-08ish). That was just when I was starting out in the hobby and it led me to pay more than I should have, early on. So...eBay and Heritage searches might have been wiser than going by that book. In terms of reference for serial numbers, etc, it was ideal.

Mike
    Mishawaka, IN