Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Gorgeous 1816 Portugal 400 Reis NGC MS64. S O L D !!!!

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

As soon as I bought this, another coin I've been longing for came up for sale. My loss is your gain.
1816 Portugal 400 Reis
KM#331
NGC MS64

Impossibly well preserved 200+ year old Colonial silver coin. Crown-sized, though with a thinner planchet than the 960 Reis.
Deep strike, flashy gorgeous fields and devices. Mint bloom in full effect. Some cartwheel remains as well.

The Redbook names Brazilian coins among those which circulated in the American colonies and early Federal period (p. 34 of the 2017 spiral bound). The Portuguese crown (essentially the Portuguese nation) "moved" to Brazil in 1808 to escape Napoleon and wouldn't return until 1820. Which means this coin was minted in the Americas and almost certainly circulated here.

There is an (probably untrue) urban myth that the 400 Reis coins were offered as bounty to new enlistees in the Confederate Army early in the American civil war.

Oversized images, you should be able to click on them to zoom in.

Asking $220 shipped paypal:

NOW JUST $205 SHIPPED !

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump with price reduction. Now just $205 shipped!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame