Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Speaking of the crash - 1975 Topps George Brett PSA 9 - Is it time to pull the trigger?

I've been looking for a 1975 Topps Brett PSA 9 for a while. If I remember correctly, they sold for around $1600 a year ago, ran up to $4000, and are now around $2700 for centered copies.

Do you think it will get a below $2000? For reference, this was a $600 card in 2011.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

I'd sell. There is going to be a pretty sig correction - especially as sports cards lose favor to Pokémon and magic cards

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way to know.......but I doubt a 9 will drop below $2000.00. 2011 was a long time ago. 9's of HOFers rookie cards have jumped in the last couple of years. Unless a bunch of Brett rookies get newly graded as 9's, this card should remain strong. IMO.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@nendee said:
    I'd sell. There is going to be a pretty sig correction - especially as sports cards lose favor to Pokémon and magic cards

Not disagreeing with the possibility of a correction, but what makes you think sports cards will play second fiddle to pokemon and mtg ?

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

@Grimster said:

@nendee said:

Not disagreeing with the possibility of a correction, but what makes you think sports cards will play second fiddle to pokemon and mtg ?

I think he had his tongue in his cheek, at least I hope so. :D

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    No way to know.......but I doubt a 9 will drop below $2000.00. 2011 was a long time ago. 9's of HOFers rookie cards have jumped in the last couple of years. Unless a bunch of Brett rookies get newly graded as 9's, this card should remain strong. IMO.

I tend to agree with you. It is a popular card and the sales over the past 2 months have been remarkably consistent at $2700. The low sale was a little less than $2500, but the centering was tilted.

Mike
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Prices 6 years ago was before the market started being manipulated by a handful of buyers/groups. I think those are legit, prices from the last few years in some cases are inflated, so honestly, the prices from 2011 or so + 10-20% are going to be the bottom end of the correction

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

Timeless card in my opinion. I think, especially with 9s, it'll hold its value over the long haul.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

mtcards is spot on re value. Iconic card and a fan favorite. Growing up in SoCal, I always enjoyed watching George Brett.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

The pop #'s for 9's are still pretty low.... it is the iconic card from the iconic set of the 70's (71's also maybe) so yes I think it will hit a low at around $2500 or so but inch up from there over the years

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

I expect this could be opened to a broader conversation and to each his own on what you collect . . . but why not an 8 at 1/10th the cost?

Not busting your chops but I'm curious as to your thought process.

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Always a valid point and what a lot of people do. Some people want a better card than an 8..... simple as that. Some think 9's will appreciate more than an 8. So there can always be multiple reasons and to each his own. Now if you can find that super nice 8 that appears to be high end then yes I would buy the 8 for less money in many cases

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scotgreb said:
    I expect this could be opened to a broader conversation and to each his own on what you collect . . . but why not an 8 at 1/10th the cost?

Not busting your chops but I'm curious as to your thought process.

Fair question. I don't buy as many graded cards as I used to, so my budget is more focused. Like many others have said, the 1975 Brett is one of my all-time favorite cards. I'm selling off a chunk of my extras to pay for it.

Plus my amp goes to 11.

Mike
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased a 75 Brett PSA 8 about a year ago. Looks like a 9 with four razor sharp corners.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

I remember a few hundred from vending, almost all were oc or mc. Everyone knows how tough a high grade one is

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

The 75 is a great card. I prefer his 1976 card in a 9. Another condition sensitive, sought after card that will also hold its value over time.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dtkk49a said:
    The 75 is a great card. I prefer his 1976 card in a 9. Another condition sensitive, sought after card that will also hold its value over time.

The 1976 is a monster to find in an 8.5/9. Price also takes a huge jump from $250 for an 8 to $3800 for a 9. Can you find a centered 8 that looks like a 9 and save $3k+ to go after another card - absolutely. Just depends if you are playing the registry game, just like to have a PSA 9, or can't find an 8 that satisfies your eye.

When I first stated collecting I was a "grade snob" and only collected PSA 8 cards or higher of Ted Williams - would not even look at anything lower. As I have gotten older I still like PSA 8's and love 8.5's for the value they bring versus the price of a 9 but look better than an 8; however, some of the favorite cards in my collection are PSA 5/PSA 6 cards - they look like a much higher grade and cost me 15-20% of the price. Always fun to pay $500 versus $5000 and get a card that looks like a $5k card. Talking with Matt C (DM23) over time has really helped me to discover this key aspect and really makes collecting fun and a challenge, but the money saved allows a collector to grab a wider range of cards.

KC

• Options

@ndleo said:
    I've been looking for a 1975 Topps Brett PSA 9 for a while. If I remember correctly, they sold for around $1600 a year ago, ran up to $4000, and are now around $2700 for centered copies.

Do you think it will get a below $2000? For reference, this was a $600 card in 2011.

• Options

This is safer. Pop is only 20

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

OPC will never be as popular or as mainstream as topps.
    Unless its hockey cards.