Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay: The great wasteland is here.

Took years but it's happened. 90% of vintage listings on eBay are overpriced, over graded garbage.

Dean is just a microcosm of the problem.

The Crisser

Comments

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

90% of eBay is half mental.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Initially I was totally in to the chick on the AT&T commercials. Not anymore though. Basically, it's just a deal where her commercials have become, soooo commercial, and no longer have what was originally hot. She needs to go away to 15 min of fame land now.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    Initially I was totally in to the chick on the AT&T commercials. Not anymore though. Basically, it's just a deal where her commercials have become, soooo commercial, and no longer have what was originally hot. She needs to go away to 15 min of fame land now.

"Door!"

• Options

:) haha that was it.

• Options

i like eBay

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

Why mention ebay here when we were politely discussing the AT&T girl upper body area.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Call a Lily.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

This thread has potential

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@MrHockey said:
    This thread has potential

Yup...In

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:
    Took years but it's happened. 90% of vintage listings on eBay are overpriced, over graded garbage.

Dean is just a microcosm of the problem.

Did you just figure this out?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

More like 98%.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there's one thing I've figured out in the very short time I've been collecting it's this:

If it isn't a hammer price then it's not current value. Even if it is a hammer price you still probably over paid because of some shill. Pick your poison.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    If there's one thing I've figured out in the very short time I've been collecting it's this:

If it isn't a hammer price then it's not current value. Even if it is a hammer price you still probably over paid because of some shill. Pick your poison.

Kevin

Correct. And when the hammer price is 2x VCP, you can assume it's not being paid or is being shilled. If you can navigate through all the BS, shilling, retractions, counterfeits, and fraudsters; then it's an enjoyable hobby.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CrissCriss said:

What about if the scans are not clear and the item looks tilted and sellers are trying to disguise what the card really looks like? ;)

• Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Ebay is tough for sellers as well as buyers. Since collectors often are both it means we're doubly scr**ed.

I'm interested in filling some holes in my late 60s-early 70s sets but cringe at the crazy prices and the thought of listing my extras and having to deal with high final value fees and the threat of getting ripped off due to the buyer-favoring rules.

In the meantime, what other venues are out there for sportscards?

For ancients - my new passion - we have Vcoins where sellers gather and compete with each other. They also abide by a set of ethics such as guaranteeing what they sell. For newbie collectors I always advise them to start at Vcoins first because you avoid trouble until you familiarize yourself with the coins.

It would be nice if a group of sportscards sellers banded together and formed something similar.

• Options
    thesouthdoesitagainthesouthdoesitagain Posts: 297 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2017 2:29PM

Get that AT&T from behind that counter.
    As to boom/bust...one day I hope to see the 51 Mantle, which is the true RC out surpass or atleast come near what the figures of the 52 are.
    **Check out this ride, car graphics below. One sharp hog!

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)