Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What did you buy at the NYINC?

Anybody else have a new coin to share?
I love coin shows and hope to see your new addition.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

This a terrific venue to buy medals

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bosox,
    I noticed and liked that piece. If wasn't cheap but think you have a nice addition to your set.
    What is the mark in between the letters on the reverse? Is it mint grease?
    I used to have a $20 Liberty with a similar marking.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

It is a stain of some sort, probably caused by an ancient spill, or sneeze. It has issues and I think is fairly graded at 62. Having said that, these are hard to come by in any grade.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2019 9:57AM

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

A picture would be cooler.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops, missed the url. Nice die crack.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

My show purchases:

French Feudal - Provance - Robert of Anjou (1309-1343)

Roman Imperial - Hadrian - Italy (travel series)

I also ordered an Anglo-Saxon thrymsa while I was at the show, but not from the show. It's sort of a show purchase. I'll post it when it arrives.

• Options

I like coins of Hadrian.
    My mother was British (from Yorkshire, actually). I have walked parts of Hadrian's Wall as a boy with my dad and also with my sons.

• Options

World coins! B)

We deal with Chinese, Middle Eastern and Russian antiquities and collectables! Please welcome to check out our Gallery at 189 S. Beverly Dr. Beverly Hills, CA, 90212

My direct number is 512-808-3197 Raul
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2017 3:53PM

The Anglo-Saxon thrymsa:

O: Roman-style head with an elongated features, probably copied from a Merovingian tremissis. "NVAC ANC"
    R: "PADA (runic) ANVS P F AN"

This coin is made of essentially electrum, a debased gold, and represents the transition of the Anglo-Saxon coinage from gold to silver. The coin mimics late Roman coinage, probably silver or gold coins of Gratian or Valentinian. Or possibly mimics Gothic/Frankish imitations of those late Roman coins (which were already nearly 300 years old by the time the Anglo-Saxons copied them)

(I bought this from a dealer's website on my mobile device while physically at the show, so it's sort of a show purchase)

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought these which I listed.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nap said:
    The Anglo-Saxon thrymsa:

This coin is made of essentially electrum, a debased gold, and represents the transition of the Anglo-Saxon coinage from gold to silver.

Not trying to be inappropriately pedantic, I would hesitate to use 'electrum' for the content. Electrum, as I understand it, is naturally occurring impure gold because the ancients weren't able to refine the metal well enough (or didn't care to refine it). Its gold content varied not due to necessity or intent. The Anglo-Saxon thrymsas were usually called 'pale' gold, and their debasement was intentional. The fine line between a very 'pale' gold and silver 'transitional' sceatt was often a coin toss (pun intended). SCBC 770 and 773 share the same dies, but one is (partially/pale) gold, the other silver.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2017 7:50PM

German States - Osnabruck - 1761

Images courtesy of HA

• Options

Nice ones, Zohar

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:

@Nap said:
    The Anglo-Saxon thrymsa:

This coin is made of essentially electrum, a debased gold, and represents the transition of the Anglo-Saxon coinage from gold to silver.

Not trying to be inappropriately pedantic, I would hesitate to use 'electrum' for the content. Electrum, as I understand it, is naturally occurring impure gold because the ancients weren't able to refine the metal well enough (or didn't care to refine it). Its gold content varied not due to necessity or intent. The Anglo-Saxon thrymsas were usually called 'pale' gold, and their debasement was intentional. The fine line between a very 'pale' gold and silver 'transitional' sceatt was often a coin toss (pun intended). SCBC 770 and 773 share the same dies, but one is (partially/pale) gold, the other silver.

Good point. I guess the proper term is pale or debased gold.

Electrum is sometimes used to describe other debased gold coins, such as the scyphate Byzantine coinage, certainly not created from natural occurring alloys, so I was using it in this context.

I guess this in contrast to billon, which is generally not a natural occurrence but a man-made alloy.

The coins I collect are difficult. The gold coins are debased. The silver are frequently debased and more properly called billon. The copper coins are brass although some of the later ones might be termed bronze. You can have a field day with this stuff if you're into metallurgy, although I will say that chemistry just doesn't interest me much.