Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Virtus Collection - My New Renaissance and Baroque Medals Website

IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
edited January 12, 2017 4:09PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I've been working on a website for some time to display my medal collection, and while it's still not quite finished (and may never be), I figured it's time to go "live" with it. I hope this might be of interest to some people here, and would appreciate any comments.

The site address is virtuscollection.com

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭

Very well done. Simple and elegant and informative.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭

@1960NYGiants said:
    Very well done. Simple and elegant and informative.

My sentiments exactly- not always easy to successfully combine those 3 elements.

You can be very proud of what you've accomplished. :)

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Oh my - this is well done. I like the crisp simplicity of the site coupled with sharp images. Book marked to read more details in the days to come. The Baroque section in particular has 110% of my attention.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is beautiful! Very clean, excellent organization and a nice, modern design. And, of course, interesting material :).

Beautiful!

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe I just got back from NY Show - you did it I cant wait to have a closer look. Congrats !

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2017 9:34PM

Beautiful presentation Joe. Logically organized, very clean looking without sacrificing content and exceedingly intuitive to use. (having installed a new flat screen with the associated bells and whistles over the holidays I especially appreciate the latter point) The references and links to other sites is very useful.

Can you share the software you used?

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

• Options

@STLNATS said:
    Beautiful presentation Joe. Logically organized, very clean looking without sacrificing content and exceedingly intuitive to use. (having installed a new flat screen with the associated bells and whistles over the holidays I especially appreciate the latter point) The references and links to other sites is very useful.

Can you share the software you used?

Thanks! It's all custom code that I wrote: PHP on the backend dynamically serving the HTML content and accessing a relational database that stores the medal information.

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

A very elegant way to showcase your collection. Well done!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2017 2:24PM

Love it! Great images and a clean design. Well done!

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Very nice. I know how hard doing a website can be

• Options

Very nice Joe! Great job on design/coding too. Agree with others on ease to navigate through. How long did it take you to code current template?
    Wow!

• Options

And "Bravo!" of course.

• Options

Thanks everyone!

@AntonDee said:
    Very nice Joe! Great job on design/coding too. Agree with others on ease to navigate through. How long did it take you to code current template?
    Wow!

It's hard to say, as the design has evolved over a long time, with incremental tweaks here and there that led to the final look.

• Options

@Iosephus said:

It's hard to say, as the design has evolved over a long time, with incremental tweaks here and there that led to the final look.

I was hoping you'd say "oh, just a couple of hours" :-) I think I have my work cut out for me, but your work does give me incentive to keep at it. Thanks.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent some time this morning looking through the Virtus Collection website---a definite labor of love, and the medals are beautiful. Well done!

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]