Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Newbie Registry question

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 11, 2017 6:22PM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

Given NGC's Registry's new rules with regard to NGC slabs only as additions as of 1/1/17, I suspect I'm like a fair amount of people at the start of 2017, I'm putting time into recreating my sets over here on the PCGS Registry, as roughly 2/3 - 3/4 of my slabs are PCGS, and I assume my Newps will probably be somewhere in that ratio.

The question I have, is that for some reason IN MULTIPLE SETS that I've created, where I clicked the ADD BEST AVAILABLE ITEMS button, the Morgan dollar that got put in there was an 1882-S MS66 Morgan. It's a pretty enough coin (it's a rattler I've owner for ~ 25 years, and I strongly suspect it would upgrade), but I also have an 1893 PR65 Morgan (also a rattler I've owned for ~ 25 years that I strongly suspect would upgrade) that by any stretch of the imagination is a rarer and more attractive coin, and in the one set it's popped up in (1893 proof set) it shows a rating that is ~ 3 X what the 1882-S does in the assorted sets that the '82-S shows up in.

Anyhow, I note that there is a link that I can hit ON EACH INDIVIDUAL SET that says, "Report a cert that should match this composite". I was wondering if there is a set wide button that one can hit that would load the 1893 into all the appropriate sets that it could go in to to replace the 1882-S? For example I'd like to replace the '82-S in the, "Copper, Nickel and Silver Type Set (1792-1964), and the, "Dollar Type Set (1794-present)" etc. etc.

Thank you for your help!!!

FWIW, here are pix of the two coins...

MS-66 (rattler) 1882-S

PR65 (rattler) 1893

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know of any direct answer to your question, but I wonder if the sets you have built are generally for business strike examples so the proof coin isn't placed into the set. However, if you can readily force the proof into the set then that would not be the case. I guess I'm not much help, after all. :/

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

You are just showing off that 1893...

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I don't know of any direct answer to your question, but I wonder if the sets you have built are generally for business strike examples so the proof coin isn't placed into the set. However, if you can readily force the proof into the set then that would not be the case. I guess I'm not much help, after all. :/

There are 3 different Type sets... circulated, proof and ones that contain both. The sets that I'm creating contain both.

• RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found the second 1962 ddo washington quarter and there were NO slots in any of the sets. I had to manually "Report a cert that should match this composite in EVERY set that I thought the coin belonged in.

After about 3 weeks they added the coin to the sets that THEY thought my coin fit into. It was not all of the ones that I submitted but you have to do each one and than they decide.

Hope that helps......tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

I "forced" the Type sets that I was using to use the PR65 1893 Morgan as opposed to the MS66 1882-S.

Interestingly enough, although anyone who knows ANYTHING about Morgans knows that a PR65 1893 Morgan is a much rarer and more valuable coin than an 1882-S in MS66, the 1882-S actually had a HIGHER rating at 132, than the 1893 proof at 130. This caused me to look at various other "rating" values in the set, and I noticed that an 1853 A&R Seated Liberty half dollar in AU55 had the single highest rating value, at 440, of any coins in the set. The LSH A&R is a nice coin and everything, and I'd put it in my Box of 20, BUT, to put it mildly, this caused me to scratch my head, given that my centerpiece coin is an 1802 DBHE dollar in (rattler) MS61, which got a rating value of 305. This makes NO sense to me.

• The beauty of the Registry is that you have the ease of using the "add best coins" option to quickly populate a set. As you've discovered, there are some quirks to the program as well. In the "edit" mode of your set, you will see that you have "available coins" option at the certificate number. That particular link will allow you to put a lesser graded coin into the position. I've changed a couple of my coins for rarer varieties.

I can also say I've used the link to add a certificate that should match a set. The Registry staff have always been more that willing to help with the issues I've had.