Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone know the true owner / provenance of this Steve Young 1986 Topps PSA 10?

Saw this is a BIN that was priced a little low and hit it immediately. Emailed Joe Orlando and asked for him to verify, but pictures are a little too blurry to do so. I've asked the seller to provide me with better pictures or send to PSA first, who will forward to me. I "search" eBay in a certain way that turns up a lot of these too good to be true deals ; some are legit, some are not, and I'm comfortable with that. I always feel I'm at least doing a service of committing to the buy to take the auction down rather than someone who hasn't been through this process with eBay/Paypal a million times before getting burnt.

Anyway, all of that said, does anyone know who the true current owner of this card is? It's the same cert# that PSA uses for their PSA Cardfacts about the card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-topps-steve-young-psa-10-/182413058648?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=sN%2FRLby%2FKd1wDy8VmMXUoJQtbOY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

An help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! -Ken

Comments

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

That's a helluva description right there. Almost as good as the pictures.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2017 3:05PM

I would think Joe O would shoot that down in two seconds. Especially with the cert not matching. About 4-5 red flags with that listing.

Edit: curious what legitimate deals you have seen? All I run into is over priced bin's.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

cert # is invalid. You will at least get your money back. Good luck.

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

I am certainly curious to know if Joe Orlando responds. Please keep us updated. I would hope he would want to be proactive in preventing fraud. I know he is busy but reputation is very important and he should at least delegate someone to respond if there is obvious inconsistency in certification number and card

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    kencopekencope Posts: 416 ✭✭

TravisT - Thanks for the link!

Others - Joe did respond to my email very quickly. Said it was too hard to tell from the pictures but if I could obtain better pictures he could comment or that he's happy to take a look if seller sends it to him. I've of course asked seller for better pictures as well as proposing he ship to PSA instead of to me. His response was that he would relist with better pictures, but has not responded again to me despite several emails to him.

I'd encourage flagging his other auctions.

The fraud of this type is rampant ; I've seen PSA holders that do not have a "frosted" look and that are nearly impossible to tell fake from good. Trying to do whatever I can to put an end to it.

Joe has been good at responding, but PSA's position remains that they can't really do anything unless the FBI wants to get involved and that while they have a dedicated agent now assigned to them, they don't know when they'll get any real attention to the matter.

Thanks for the responses!

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

I have never seen any cert number in a new holder starting with a zero!!

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

You are more than welcome kencope. I hope you are financially safe. Just to clarify, I had also pointed out in the linked thread that a PSA 8 Ryan RC was being offered by the same seller. The flip fonts look pretty much the same - wrong. Just my 2 pennies. Good luck.

• Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure the original owner is a member here and regretfully sold it years ago..sorry if bringing up bad memories to the original owner

• Options

@Stingray said:

I believe, unless I'm mistaken, if you go for the reholder service, you'd get a new slab with the hologram, and your cert# would stay the same. That's how it works with BGS at least.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcpheely said:

@Stingray said:

I believe, unless I'm mistaken, if you go for the reholder service, you'd get a new slab with the hologram, and your cert# would stay the same. That's how it works with BGS at least.

Correct.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    kencopekencope Posts: 416 ✭✭

I didn't pay for the item, so I'll be fine.

I would however, like to verify without a doubt if the card is legit or not, and the one way to do that is to find whomever actually owns it if the seller is not the owner.

Thanks again! -Ken

@travis t said:
    You are more than welcome kencope. I hope you are financially safe. Just to clarify, I had also pointed out in the linked thread that a PSA 8 Ryan RC was being offered by the same seller. The flip fonts look pretty much the same - wrong. Just my 2 pennies. Good luck.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me the red flag is a person who has not sold anything based on feedback in the last year, and all of their sales are musical instruments; however, now they decide to sell a $4-5k Ryan rookie?

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was a Pop 3 for a long time.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Eight ball upper right corner FTW.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Wow, this was a Pop 3 PSA 10 for a long time. All of a sudden a Pop 8?

I think the chances of that card being a legit PSA 10 are pretty much slim and none. That being said, there's really no downside when you buy it off eBay because they will get your money back if it turns out to be bogus.

I hit the BIN on a Montana RC PSA 10 years ago that was way underpriced and it was, of course, fake, but it was a remarkably smooth process getting my money back.

Good luck!

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

^^^
    I have to disagree. I've run into my fair share of bogus listings and there is ways to get screwed even with eBay buyer protection.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    ^^^
    I have to disagree. I've run into my fair share of bogus listings and there is ways to get screwed even with eBay buyer protection.

When I got the Montana in the mail, I dropped it off at PSA to get it verified. They told me it was a fake slab. I called eBay and they said I just need to get a written form saying it was a fraud and submit it to eBay buyer protection, which I did. From there, I had my money back within a week.

I think if you follow those steps, you should be fine

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭

ClockworkAngel

Did they make you return the card to seller or did they let you keep it?