Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Now this stinks... Update 2/1

LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 1, 2017 7:25PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The other day I joined an online case break and pulled a 4/4 Jack Eichel 2015 The Cup Rookie tag. B) Now I was pretty excited but I'm not really a tag/patch guy and was just hoping for a base or gold base. But since two of the others sold for about $500 on ebay I figured I could at the least flip it and buy something I really wanted. While the card was in transit I decided I was going to send it with a few other cards to be signed via the Leaf signature program that someone else here pointed out to me. And the idea of having it signed changed my mind and I was then really excited for the card to arrive.

Got the card out of the mail box just now and my heart sank. The bottom right corner is dinged pretty good. I watched the break and there is video. It went straight into a penny sleeve and then into a top loader.

So my question is will UD do anything for you if you contact them and explain the situation? If anyone has done this and can share their knowledge I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin

Comments

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also it clearly wasn't dropped because the corner is sharp. It's really like a wrinkle in the top layer.

Kevin

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to see that. I am sure you will hit something in the future to make up 4 it

• Contact UD

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

That bottom left corner looks dinged as well.

Update:

So I contacted UD and they requested the case number and the information of the dealer that sold the case. I have two go to sellers on eBay that I've used in the past for breaks. They have fantastic high quality video, always take the time to show serial numbers on the boxes etc... First class all the way and I've never once had a problem with any of the dozens of breaks I've done with them.

Well unfortunately one of them hasn't done any Cup breaks and the other has been only breaking one box at a time, which I'm not a big fan of. Because of this I decided to try a third seller who had plenty of positive feedback (30,000+) at a 99.8% positive clip. I figured I'd give it a shot. He is the one I got the 4/4 from. Crappy video, just raced through not taking the time to show case and box info. Also he couldn't pronounce 1/3 of the names and it was just bad all around.

So after getting the list of information that UD wanted I contacted the break organizer and he replied back right away that he would get the info and get back to me later that night. 1 day goes by, then two, three and four. I reach out again and ask if he had the info figuring shit happens and it's probably not his top priority. Nothing. Another 3 days go by so I was at a week now and I'd pretty much given up hope of hearing back from him. Sent one last email asking for him to let me know one way or the other if he was going to be able to provide the info that UD needed in order to process the claim for a damaged card and that if I didn't hear back from him I'd leave the appropriate feedback. Waited 48hrs and got no response.

So I reached back out to UD and explained the situation that the break organizer went MIA and that I wouldn't be able to provide the info they need. I did however forward them a link to the video that shows the card coming out of the case, box, tin, box, pack and then going right into a penny sleeve and a top loader. They agreed to make a one time exception and exchange the card! :) . So I sent the card in last week and figured that it would take a while since the paper work says To allow 6-8 weeks to process the claim.

Well low and behold I got an email today from FedEx saying that the replacement was on its way! B) .

So first in case anyone who reads this works for UD Thank You Very Much for the fantastic customer service and handling the situation in a first class manner. Now I just have to sweat out the next few days hoping that the replacement isn't a disappointment. I'd have to double check but I think that there is only a single 1/1 in the issue and the /4 that I had and then I think /24 is the next lowest card I have no idea what to expect. I know it won't be the 1/1 so unless they have a /4 that they hand number it will be something different. We shall see!

Man Susan Sarandon was hot back in the day!

Kevin

• sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Way to see it through Kevin. Perseverance pays sometimes.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.

Alright the replacement has arrived and I'll say that I did not see this as a possibility. It is a 2013 The Cup Rookie Auto Patch of Vlad Tarasenko. I'll send it in with my next sub and see what happens but I'm not sure it will stay with me very long. While $ 4 $ it may be a comparable I would rather have gotten an base Eichel card in its place. Oh well could've been much worse. :)

Kevin

• sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Is that right upper corner dinged on the replacement card Tarasenko as well?

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.

I would call it very lightly touched. The photo makes it look worse than it is because the penny sleeve is tight on that side. But yeah..... It kind of sucks because if it was replaced with any other Eichel Cup card I would have been fine with it. But to get a second card that is also less then perfect straight from UD is a little disheartening. I almost wish I had kept the 4/4 except I didn't really care for the laundry care instruction tag as a patch.

BUT....... I've got a fantastic, FANTASTIC! card that, if I get home in time from the Waste Management Open tomorrow to get it from the post office, will make me feel much better. Unless someone beats me to it I'll start the February pick ups thread with what will hopefully be a bang

Kevin

• MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Tarasenko RPAs go for like $300, so I would guess that you did alright on the exchange.