Home Q & A Forum
Options

Error Coins

Is there a category here to post error coins?

Comments

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, there isn't a specific category just for errors. Simply post them in the appropriate category (US or World/Ancient) if they are not for sale, and in the "Buy, Sell & Trade" (US or World/Ancient) if they are for sale.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options

Thanks @EXOJUNKIE !

• Options

@Joepocketchange What kind of error do you think it it?

• Options

It is strange to me that something so obvious could leave the us mint undetected. Take away the obverse issues and have only the 180 degree rotated reverse cool. As a novice becoming a addict to the revealation that it isn't just a old coin found and put up for safe keeping it is the knowledge of mintage, variety, full steps and full bands, machine or hub, fool's gold and finding a real McCoy. I love Numismatics. People I know laugh that I am so interested in what is considered mundane and Typical. This 2016 P Jefferson nickel appears to have had foreign material between it's planchet and the die creating the valley. His face I'm told looks to be struck through. And the rotation is collateral damage. Sullivan coin replied to my email I sent saying it maybe worth $10. BS. I say. I will get it authenticated.

• Options

I didn't even notice the 180 degree rotated reverse. Very nice! You would be surprised what leaves the mint. 100% quality control for millions of coins is impossible. Yes, yours looks like a struck thru grease. I would submit it.

How does something like this leave the mint? In someones back pocket!

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joepocketchange - I'm sure Jon told you $10 because all he saw was the struck through area on the nickel's obverse. If the nickel was truly struck with a rotated die it will be worth more depending upon the degree of rotation and grade of the coin. This type of error is best evaluated in-hand.

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸