Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jefferson Nickel Variety of the Week: 1938-D DDO-001, DDO-003 and DDO-004

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 31, 2016 10:16AM in U.S. Coin Forum

You know I love varieties and really had some fun with the 1938-D. In my "All Variety" Set I originally had a 1938-D DDR-002 and went on a quest to find one of these with full steps. I will have to say, to this day, that has not happened! Somewhere along the line, someone showed me a 1938-D DDO-001 and thought this variety is pretty cool. Of course now I had to find one! Eventually I found one that was a nice early die state example shown below. The doubling is pretty apparent, but the die crack running across the lower IBE and across through the middle of the R in LIBERTY which helps attribute this variety.

Looking through the many 1938-D's, I noticed a couple other examples that had different die cracks with ever so slight doubling in LIBERTY as well. Thus, the discoveries of the DDO-003 and DDO-004! The DDO-003 has slight doubling in the lower serifs of LIBERTY and then you'll see the die crack running through the lower L and across through the middle of the BER in LIBERTY. Also, you will see a small indent in the upper loop of the R. The DDO-004 has similar minor doubling in the lower serifs of LIBERTY, but more prominent on the RTY. The die crack on the DDO-004 begins in the lower portion of the E and runs across the RTY and into the Star. If I could catch the right lighting, the die cracks on all three DDO's is much more apparent than what I was able to capture.

As alway, hope you enjoyed and happy hunting! Oh yes, Happy New Year!

DDO-001- 1-O-V-CW

DDO-003 - 3-O-II-C (My Discovery)

DDO-004 - 4-O-II-C (My Discovery)

Comments

• Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

@BigDowgie said:

You know I love varieties and really had some fun with the 1938-D. In my "All Variety" Set I originally had a 1938-D DDR-002 and went on a quest to find one of these with full steps. I will have to say, to this day, that has not happened! Somewhere along the line, someone showed me a 1938-D DDO-001 and thought this variety is pretty cool. Of course now I had to find one! Eventually I found one that was a nice early die state example shown below. The doubling is pretty apparent, but the die crack running across the lower IBE and across through the middle of the R in LIBERTY which helps attribute this variety.

Looking through the many 1938-D's, I noticed a couple other examples that had different die cracks with ever so slight doubling in LIBERTY as well. Thus, the discoveries of the DDO-003 and DDO-004! The DDO-003 has slight doubling in the lower serifs of LIBERTY and then you'll see the die crack running through the lower L and across through the middle of the BER in LIBERTY. Also, you will see a small indent in the upper loop of the R. The DDO-004 has similar minor doubling in the lower serifs of LIBERTY, but more prominent on the RTY. The die crack on the DDO-004 begins in the lower portion of the E and runs across the RTY and into the Star. If I could catch the right lighting, the die cracks on all three DDO's is much more apparent than what I was able to capture.

As alway, hope you enjoyed and happy hunting! Oh yes, Happy New Year!

DDO-001

DDO-003 (My Discovery)

DDO-004 (My Discovery)

Do these all fall under class 6 doubling ?

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

I added the official CONECA designation for these DDOs.

DDO-001 - Class V
    DDO-003 and 004 - Class II

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big Dawg........you amaze me! I thought I was the most extreme variety nut out here. Well, you are right up there with me!

Great varieties and great job finding them.

I am trying to find as many different 1941-S (Dimes) Large S dies I can. So far I have 3. WE ARE BOTH NUTS!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file