Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Topps Joe Montana rookie

Thoughts on how this card would technically grade? Clean surface

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is hard to tell with the card in the sleeve and toploader. To me, the corners look worn a bit. My guess would be PSA 7.
    James

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Corners look a bit touched, print line below neck(?), and some print spots seem to cover the lower half. Based on that I would say a "6".
    Jim

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

Nice centering. Looks like a little corner wear. I would guess 6.5
    Cory

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice centering. I would say PSA 7.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

Buying 75 Topps Reg. Size PSA 9
    1975 Topps Registry Set "Scott's 75 Topps Set"
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

6-7 range. Corners have too much wear for any higher.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2016 12:32PM

You might have better luck with BGS. Corners and maybe the print surface issues around the pants wouldn't hurt it as much if centering and edges could subgrade at a 9.

• Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Keep those comments coming guys. I very much appreciate all the different opinions and analysis.

Here's another question: Would you feel comfortable paying $90 for this card?

• Options
    Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

From what I can tell by the picture I would say it is worth around $70.
    Cory

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since it is not graded I would pay around $50 for the card. If you buy it at $50 and send it for grading, if it graded a 6 you will pretty much break even.
    James

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not pay 90 for it. VCP avg. for a 7 is 87.00. If you were comfortable with no creases and thought it would grade 7 then 90 might not be a bad number Because it has good centering. I think 50-60 would be a good number.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    I would not pay 90 for it. VCP avg. for a 7 is 87.00. If you were comfortable with no creases and thought it would grade 7 then 90 might not be a bad number Because it has good centering. I think 50-60 would be a good number.

+1

• Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

I thought it was definitely in the Psa 6-7 range but the centering was what was so interesting to me. Perfect eye appeal

• Options

All 4 corners are touched. PSA 5.5 to 6.5

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

6 maybe 7 on a graders lenient day

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    edited January 3, 2017 9:45AM

**> @JimMeant said:
    Here's another question: Would you feel comfortable paying $90 for this card?

NO WAY. The corners all look like they are touched, especially the bottom two. If you spend the money to grade it and you get a "6" (I think this is the highest you would get), you are going to have a $65.00-$75.00 card.

That being said, the card still has very nice eye appeal and I would be happy having it in my collection.

Best of luck.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

That's a lot of low grade opinions. Surprised many think it will grade a 6. At first glance, I was thinking 8.5.
    Then again, I can't grade for crap.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

My opinion is a 6 as well.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

@StamkosFan said:
    That's a lot of low grade opinions. Surprised many think it will grade a 6. At first glance, I was thinking 8.5.
    Then again, I can't grade for crap.

It is mainly because all four corners are touched. No 7 or 8 is supposed to have that otherwise it would be higher. At BGS I can see this card getting much stronger subgrades (minus corners) but that would probably bring it naturally down to the 6 level anyway.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    6 maybe 7 on a graders lenient day

+1

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

I think 6.

I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !