Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Double Die Loonies and Toonies in 2013 Canada Uncirculated Sets

MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
edited December 30, 2016 11:10PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

A Coin World article from September 2013 reported the discovery of double die varieties on the $1 'Loonie' and $2 'Toonie' coins in some 2013 Canada uncirculated sets. According to the article, these coins exhibit "doubling that is shifted in the same direction, the identifying characteristic of Class IV Offset Hub Doubling, which means the hub to die alignment was offset to one side. This type of doubling can occur with single-press hubbing, which was first used for Canadian coins in 1978."

I'm not much of a Darkside collector, but these coins -- particularly the Loonie -- appeared to possess such major doubling that even a myopic guy like me could see, motivating me to purchase some sets from the Royal Canadian Mint. I took the images below to capture the doubling.

Loonie

Toonie

These are fascinating to me -- in particular, the Loonie, with obvious notching of the lettering and neat doubling of the dots around the circumference. Does anyone else find these interesting?

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I think that it looks like mechanical or machine doubling, where the planchet or die was loose in the keeper or holder. The working die strikes the planchet and then there is movement as the die just recedes off the planchet causing a "shadow" of the design element. Hub doubling is from the hub being misaligned with the working die blank while making the working die. In that case, then every coin struck with that working die would all look like the photo. For the 2013, there weren't enough of them found to say that they came from a single working die's lifetime. To me, it looks like MD.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing the RCM, I wouldn't be surprised if this anomaly wasn't created on purpose to sell more sets....

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

I think Syl is correct. The doubling shown in the OP looks to have the same spacing throughout the coin. My understanding of hub doubling is that the spacing gets wider as it approaches the rim i.e. rotational doubling and the doubling is on the same side of letters/details. The loonie shows lateral doubling - east to west and the twoonie shows it south to north. Notice how the doubling changes sides on the letters on the top vs. bottom part of the legend.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

Thanks to everyone for commenting. A few thoughts in reply:
    1) i don't know how many of these doubled coins were produced, but I have a handful of them, and I've seen them offered for sale by others. They all have identical doubling in magnitude and direction. Would machine doubling be reproducible from coin to coin in this fashion?
    2) I thought one of the hallmarks of machine doubling was the absence of notched devices. The lettering and other features on these coins are strongly notched.
    3) John Wexler, who was quoted in the article linked in my OP, has a nice discussion of class IV hub doubling on his site. He gives the example of the 1983 Lincoln DDR (FS-01-1983-801), in which the doubling is due to a uniform lateral shift, rather than a rotation -- like these Canadian coins.

• Options

Interestingly, ANACS labeled the subject coins as doubled dies....

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the photos @MrScience!

Looking forward to the status.