Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1934-36 Diamond Stars identification

Hi all.

I've got a question that I need some clarification on.

From my understanding, for 1936, cards #85-108 and the reprints from the previous two years were all printed with blue ink on the back. 1934 used green and 1935 had used green and then blue, and that 1936 was blue only.

I have a 1936 Diamond Stars #87 Steve O'Neil that has green ink on the back. It is not blue, nor has it faded to green. Would this be considered an error, misprint, or just a regular card? Would this be classified as a "rare" card? Or am I grasping at straws hoping it's something it's not?

This has bothered me for a long time. I got frustrated years ago not able to find an answer and tossed it aside. I ran across it the other day sorting through cards and figured I'd try to find an answer again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

I am not sure but it may help if you posted a scan of the reverse. I am sure some of the pre war guys will be able to help.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • I'll get a picture up tomorrow.

• Here is a couple of pictures of the back of the card in question.

photo 20161231_135438.jpg

1936 Diamond Stars No. 87 Steve O'neil photo 100_5503.jpg

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have an answer for you, but you might go to the net54baseball.com/forum and ask the guys over there. They specialize in pre-WWII cards.

Steve

• 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I have a complete set that I finished and am working on all the different variations.

You can find a listing of the various combinations of copyrights and colors on line. Here for example: http://www.oldcardboard.com/r/r327/r327list.asp

That said the only #87 O'Neill I know if is a '36 (C) Blue Back.

Not that I'm pushing them, but I have a whole lot of sharp duplicates listed on Rick Probstein's eBay site listed as Buy-it-now if you're interested.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Good luck with your set completion, 53BKid.

I acquired this card in a larger collection purchased years ago and tossed aside. I recently ran across it again when sorting some other cards.

I also got a post up on the net54 forum this morning regarding this. If I get an answer there, I'll update here just to keep everyone informed.

Hopefully, somebody can shed some light on this thing.

• For any that have replied and/or followed, the analysis is that this card is a reprint. Somebody from net54 wanted to see the front and they've determined it's gloss makes this a reprint.

Thank you for those that helped to figure this out.