Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does nostalgia have an effect on what is popular in coins?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last weekend I was clicking through the wasteland of cable tv (and newton Minnow thought that the network tv of the 1960's was a wasteland) and came upon a show that featured nothing but an auction of collectible cars. Many 1960s and early 1970s muscle cars were being auctioned at the time I was watching. I was amazed at the prices being paid for these vehicles, with nearly all of the buyers, when they were shown, appearing to be "old guys". They must have a desire to own the dream cars of their youth that they couldn't afford at the time. (I don't share their desire to own cars from this era. I recall them as being trouble plagued, rust-prone junk.)

Is there any current role nostalgia is playing in the coin market? Are the coin buyers of today trying to fulfill the dreams of their youth?

All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nostalgia voted for president.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old cars ,old guys fits me perfect.

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭

Nostalgia, as you call it, certainly plays a role. Most serious collectors started out as children and had their taste or preferences influenced early.

The allure of a 1916-D Mercury dime or 1909-S VDB will most certainly be diminished by the time the last baby boomer, who remembers searching for them in circulation, shuffles off this mortal coil.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nostalgia plays a key part in any sort of collectable , sports cards, stamps, cars, coins ETC... and i can see the high prices paid
    for those cars the winners are trying to relive their younger days though the car just like some collectors collect select items cause of the memories that item invokes

nothing wrong with that it makes collecting a neat and interesting area

• Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

@silverpop said:
    Nostalgia plays a key part in any sort of collectable , sports cards, stamps, cars, coins ETC... and i can see the high prices paid
    for those cars the winners are trying to relive their younger days though the car

Typical.

Trust me, I'm not trying to re-live my younger years buying old coins

Maybe the buyers can afford the cars they bid on, it's a hobby and don't really give a s***

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2016 1:47PM

@epcjimi1 said:

@silverpop said:
    for those cars the winners are trying to relive their younger days though the car

Typical.

Trust me, I'm not trying to re-live my younger years buying old coins

Maybe the buyers can afford the cars they bid on, it's a hobby and don't really give a s***

I kind of agree with you. I am also a record collector, and that market really >> is << affected by nostalgia, as people tend to collect recordings, etc. from the time when they were younger. When that era has passed by to the point that many of the collectors are elderly, the demand for that era's records can go down. You won't get the same prices today for many Elvis records that you used to.

Whereas, with coins, many collectors tend to go for the series that they enjoy looking at, regardless of era. I just started getting into Barbers in recent years, but I would be a medical miracle if I were old enough to remember them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file