Home Q & A Forum
Options

Do labels matter?

Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to coin collecting. I started about 4 years ago and have been almost exclusively been collecting silver eagles. I found myself buying into all the different labels this year and I don't know why. Is it a gimmick? Do the mercanti signed labels as opposed to the Wyatt Earp or flag labels make any difference?

I started looking into the domed cubs World Series coins and noticed that they have different wording on the labels. I can't find a proof and ms coin with the exact same format for wording even though they have the same overall label and it's the same coin. Would the value change at all depending on having the exact same wording on the coins?

Comments

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

The labels are a gimmick although there are people that do care about them. How many, I really couldn't say. For moderns like these, collect what you like because you may find it hard to sell anything but MS/PF70 coins for much more than melt.

• Options

I've been trying to make a series of 69s and 70s of all the silver eagles since I can't find much info about other coins, but I think I might just start buying bullion as the price goes down. I bought into the gimmicky labels and pre-bought way too many 2017 silver eagles. It's too late to cancel the order now =/

Do you think the commemorative coins are gimmicks as well? I was looking at the 2014 domed world series silver coins, but I'm not sure if they're worth it.

Overall, I'm not expecting to make a quick dollar on them. I'm trying to diversify my portfolio and have some fun with it at the same time. I'm just hoping they'll be worth something when I'm old and pass them onto the kid(s).

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure there are people that collect them, but I don't know any. People make money flipping them but I think they are mostly trading on speculation. However, if you like them, by all means collect them. As for diversification, I'd recommend either bullion or classic coins.