Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New Theme - Divine Presence on Coins - The Tetragrammaton and the Eye of Providence

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 28, 2016 7:40PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

By the 17th century, several European countries were minting coins featuring the name of God. A German coin minted in the year 1634 prominently featured the name Jehovah. Such coins became popularly known as the Jehovah talers, or Jehovah coins, and were circulated for decades.

imageimage

"Jehovah" is a rendering of God’s name that has been recognized for centuries. In Hebrew, a language that is read from right to left, the name appears as four consonants, these four Hebrew characters—transliterated YHWH—are known as the Tetragrammaton. God’s name in this form was also inscribed on European coins for decades. The tetragrammaton, from Greek meaning "[consisting of] four letters", commonly transliterated into Latin letters as YHWH. It is one of the names of God used in the Hebrew Bible. The name may be derived from a verb that means "to be", "to exist", "to cause to become", or "to come to pass".

The Eye of Providence (or the all-seeing eye of God) is a symbol showing an eye often surrounded by rays of light or a glory and usually enclosed by a triangle. It represents the eye of god watching over mankind (or divine providence).

Here are a few purchases made in the past year towards the theme (working on a set ATS, which I will make public soon). Its a very challenging undertaking, yet with some patience, I believe this set can expand.

1653 Hamburg. Bankportugaleser. Engraving by Sebastian Dadler (1586-1657). 50mm; 35.23gr. Wiecek 145. Maué 80. PiN 166. Gaedechens 1567. The Medal commemorates five years since the end of the devastating Thirty Years' War in 1648. State of Hamburg commissioned a Portugaleser, a German imitation of the Portugese gold coin, Potuguez. Obv: View of the city of Hamburg with its steeples behind high fortifications, the Elbe in the foreground and on the left side, the entrance to the port, where the ships are pushing. On the river many small and large sailing ships, also rowing boats and a raft. Above the city two hands coming from clouds hold a round shield with the Hebrew signature JEHOVAH. Attached to the sign is the emblem of Hamburg in a scrollwork frame. On the sails of a ship on the right side the initials SD and at the bottom the year 1653. Rev: The wide moving River Elbe, filled with sailing ships and rowboats, in the distance on the horizon, the city of Hamburg. Riverbanks growing trees, cereals, vegetables and flowers. Above hovers PAX with palm and olive branch in her right hand and showered their blessings from two oversized cornucopias from: from a several sailboats and from the other grains, fruits and flowers. These blessings give a picture of prosperity, which is based on the maritime trade and the production of agricultural products. NGC MS-64.

1669 GERMAN STATES. Saxe-New-Gotha. Ernst I Taler. Obv: Bride and groom hold hands under a dove and the divine glory, Hebrew lettering of Jehovah, with rays descending on marriage of Ernst's son Frederick and Magdalena Sybilla of Weissenfels. Rev: 12-line inscription. KM-25; DAV-7449; Schnee 425; Steguweit 22. Extremely rare, Krause notes a mintage of just 747 pieces. Lovely olive and gold toning. NGC MS-62.

1693 German States. Henneberg-Ilmenau Taler. Mintmaster Sebastian Altmann. DAV 7481; KM-14; Müseler Supplement 56.6 / 4 a; Snow 619; Coll. Vogelsang 782 var. Issued to commemorate the yield of the mines in Ilmenau. Obv: Two ornamented helmets and crested shields of Saxony and Henneberg including mountain and metallurgical implements supported by miners. Rev: Crowned hen to the right, under the radiant name of Jehovah, in the section "Signatur BA". NGC AU-58. Wonderful scarce piece purchased from EVP who I thank for letting me have a shot at it.

Harz. ND (1701-67). Baptismal Taler. Katsouros-10A. DAV-2935. Obv: Christ being anointed by John the baptist in the river Jordan, Biblical quotations around. Rev: Biblical quotations in 10 lines and in margins. A beautifully toned presentation piece which retains much underlying luster. NGC MS-62.

1745 Coronation of Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor, in Frankfurt. Silver. 49 mm. Forschner 315 (not in silver); J & F 787a; Julius 1610. By Mathias Donner. Obv: Draped and armoured bust Francis I to right , with an imperial laurel wreath, with a general's cloak and with the Order of the Golden Fleece. Rev: God's eye shines down on the altar where the crown jewels lie. A crown, orb and sceptre resting upon a short column; a heavenly radiate triangle, above with god's name, Jehovah within. PCGS SP-65.

Comments