Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with Edge lettering...

Looking for a little help here. I've got a couple more from a collection I bought. Aside from Wiki general history & coinage background (which has been very interesting) I can't seem to find what the edge lettering is stamped on both of these coins. Can you guys help me out?

1868 Sweden- 4 Riksdaler (or Krona ?)
Charles XV was King of Sweden & Norway from 1852 until his death in 1872.
"...he proved to be one of the most popular of Scandinavian kings and a constitutional ruler in the best sense of the word. His reign was remarkable for its manifold and far-reaching reforms. Sweden's existing communal law (1862), ecclesiastical law (1863) and criminal law (1864) were enacted appropriately enough under the direction of a king whose motto was: Land skall med lag byggas - "With law shall the land be built".

1848 Prussia Ein Thaler -
Frederick William IV - King of Prussia from 1840-1861
"Although a staunch conservative, Frederick William did not seek to be a despot, and so he toned down the reactionary policies pursued by his father, easing press censorship and promising to enact a constitution at some point, but he refused to create an elected legislative assembly, preferring to work with the nobility through "united committees" of the provincial estates."

Comments

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

The edge lettering on the Prussian coin is most likely "Gott Mit Uns" or "God is with Us." This is a common German motto found on coin edge lettering and some military items such as belt buckles.
    Another pic or two of the Swedish edge lettering might help in deciphering it.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2016 10:33AM

Thanks. I'll try to take other shots when I get home from work. The Swedish one was a bit worn is areas. I took the initial edge shot just for sharing. It was only afterwards that I couldn't find online what it read.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2016 11:43AM

Why you gotta make everything look easy Weibb? :p

Only 120.000 minted in this date. I wonder how many are left?

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame