Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

This purchase 'back then' ended up being quite the bummer.

Think it was 160 bucks. Got any examples of worse sports collectibles purchases, when at the time, was for sure GOLD ?

Comments

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Almost anyone who bought high end rookies this summer.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Arsenal83 said:
    Almost anyone who bought high end rookies this summer.

Though short term....what he said

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

The four tubs of late 1980s and early 1990s sets and cards in my basement!!

• estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

A wax case of 1988 Fleer for $475 is worst for me...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much everything I bought from 1986 to 1990. Lol

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I remember guys dropping $100 bills left and right for raw NM 85 McGwire RCs in 98.

• SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

I paid $120 for a nomar Garciapara 92 Topps Traded PSA 9. Pretty sure that's a $7 card now. Same for 90 Leaf Sosa.

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

BGS 10 2001 SP Authentic Mark Prior. Don't even ask what I paid.

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2016 10:04PM

How about anybody that bought Jeremy Lin rookies a few years back?

Shane

• 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited December 27, 2016 11:25PM

1991ish when i loved opening new packs. I remember selling my old football cards at a card show (4 montana rookies, bradshaw rookie, joe Greene rookie lambert rookies, etc etc) for the chance to open packs and get something truly valuable. Of course those 1991 fleer baseball, donruss baseball, etc didn't quite work out.

I quit collecting months after this too. The good news is since starting collecting again I have avoided opening packs with exception to a couple 1978 football packs I got for next to nothing.

• dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

In 1993, I paid a couple hundred for a complete set of 1993 Finest baseball, which can now be had for under a hundred.

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

$28 each for 130 1987 Topps baseball sets in 1988. Figured they'd go to $75 each in a few years :#

Daniel
  • 54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Bought a box of 1990 Upper Deck hockey French version for $425.00 when they came out. Today they are around $10-15. I still have it sitting around somewhere.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    I remember guys dropping $100 bills left and right for raw NM 85 McGwire RCs in 98.

I did it twice! Haha

Wasn't laughing a few years later as that wasn't exactly cheap to a freshman in college. My worst percentage purchase ever was when I bought the 1963 Topps Ron Hunt for $150. Sold it for $14. Just looked and it is up 50% from then. Gets even worse. LOL

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    My worst percentage purchase ever was when I bought the 1963 Topps Ron Hunt for $150. Sold it for $14.

You left off the best part of that story! :#

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mlbfan2 said:

@Dpeck100 said:
    My worst percentage purchase ever was when I bought the 1963 Topps Ron Hunt for $150. Sold it for $14.

Which part? The thought that I was getting a steal on a Pete Rose or my fun EBAY listing that was viewed like 500?

I did get a kick out of that auction.

• mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

@mlbfan2 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Which part? The thought that I was getting a steal on a Pete Rose or my fun EBAY listing that was viewed like 500?

I did get a kick out of that auction.

The Pete Rose part. :smile:

• I should take a picture of all my Corey Patterson Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome RCs and post it here. Maybe I will dig them out this weekend if I'm bored. That might be funny. And sad. Mostly sad.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcpheely said:
    I should take a picture of all my Corey Patterson Topps Chrome and Bowman Chrome RCs and post it here. Maybe I will dig them out this weekend if I'm bored. That might be funny. And sad. Mostly sad.

I know he wasn't a superstar but I really enjoyed watching him in Baltimore those few years he was there. He was a good exciting player.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Not sure what mine was.
    However, I was one of those weekend warrior dealers getting $100 for NM McGwire rookies. Also, I really feel bad for the person that paid me through an ebay sale of $420.00 for an 1987 Fleer Bonds PSA 10.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

The mark prior card mentioned...brings back memories.

• psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I have the #2 Juan Gonzalez Master and Basic set. I never learn.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • @psychump said:
    I have the #2 Juan Gonzalez Master and Basic set. I never learn.

Well you learned something you're #2.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • I had quite the Hal Morris collection at one point. Hundreds of 89 D. As good as blue chip stocks I tell you.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE