Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Which tag style do you prefer?

EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 27, 2016 4:08PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I am considering changing the tags that I use for my Wessex pennies. Currently, they are in the CNG style using (early) modern English for the monarch name. But, I kind of like the look of their contemporary Anglo-Saxon styles. Column two has the monarch name written in the Anglo-Saxon style of contemporary West Saxon. Column three is like column two, but with 'Wessex King' written in the contemporary style too.

[In contemporary West Saxon style, they rarely used lower case.]

The drawback, perhaps, with column three is that 'Wessex King' style changes during the dynasty from Edward the Elder onwards.

For those who are curious, 'ÆÞELSTAN EADVVEARDING' roughly translates to 'Æthelstan of Edward' (Æthelstan was the son of Edward the Elder). And for a king like Æthelred I, the use of the patronymic obviates the need to specify 'I' to distinguish from the later Æthelred II.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Which tag style do you prefer?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    Monarch name in contemporary West Saxon style (but with title in modern English)

BTW, I plan not (yet, or ever) to do this with this dynasty from Eadgar onwards, nor with any other Anglo-Saxon kingdom -- because I don't know what is the correct style and spelling yet for all those names and titles.

Anyone here fluent in Anglo-Saxon?

• Options
    Monarch name in contemporary West Saxon style (but with title in modern English)

Thanks for the votes so far, but I was kind of hoping that folks would explain their vote. This is really quite interesting to me, and I would really like a healthy discussion on something not political...

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current style with monarch name in (early) modern English

The current look is cleaner for those unfamiliar with the theme and history. You may consider having 2 tags...

• Options

@Zohar said:
    The current look is cleaner for those unfamiliar with the theme and history. You may consider having 2 tags...

How about something like this:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Wessex. Æthelstan (ÆÞELSTAN EADVVEARDING).

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would follow the CNG conventions or other specialized auction houses/catalogs. Keep it consistent.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2016 6:46PM

@Zohar said:
    I would follow the CNG conventions or other specialized auction houses/catalogs. Keep it consistent.

But it's so much fun to write 'Æþelvvlf Ecgbryhting'. :'(

• Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler , I voted "Current style with monarch name in (early) modern English" simply because I wouldn't be able to decipher 'ÆÞELSTAN EADVVEARDING' but would understand 'Æthelstan of Edward'

@EVillageProwler said:

@Zohar said:

How about something like this:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Wessex. Æthelstan (ÆÞELSTAN EADVVEARDING).

If it were me I'd have 1 tag with:

ANGLO-SAXON, Kings of Wessex.
    ÆÞELSTAN EADVVEARDING
    (Æthelstan)

839-858. AR Penny (20mm, 1.33 g, 6h).

P.S.: I'd really like to see pictures of those described by your tags.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2016 11:13AM

I would find reading the modern version more 'natural' to read. I liked dadam's idea but if I were making the tags i would reverse the order of the last two lines...modern above (contemporary) name.

Edited to add...which I just noticed is how you wrote it four posts up...

• Options
    edited December 28, 2016 2:31PM

Thanks for all the responses. I'll play around with a modified version of what I have now, perhaps having the contemporary Anglo-Saxon spelling in parenthesis or elsewhere on the tag (as a comment). Not sure, but it's a lot of work (and fun) doing this and I hate to forget the knowledge. And, it's an inexpensive way to enjoy coins.

For dadams, here are the pics (I need to shoot my own image of the Aethelwulf coin; the provided image is linked from CNG's site):

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

I like the modern English. I really love your collection. :)

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the modern English.

I was perusing the Naismith reference. Your coin of Aethelwulf is, in addition to the provenance you have, ex-NCirc March 1969 (#2046), and noted as "possibly ex-Argyll." You will have to add that to your tag!

In Naismith the coin is listed as C115.3m and is plated.

• Options

@Nap said:
    I prefer the modern English.

I was perusing the Naismith reference. Your coin of Aethelwulf is, in addition to the provenance you have, ex-NCirc March 1969 (#2046), and noted as "possibly ex-Argyll." You will have to add that to your tag!

In Naismith the coin is listed as C115.3m and is plated.

Thanks Nap. I need Naismith. Any chance you (or someone) can email me copies of this documentation? (What is 'NCirc'? Is that Spink?)

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll send you a pic of the page later today.

I can bring my copy of Naismith to NYINC if you want to see if it's worth picking up. (I think it's a good reference). But they might be a little heavy to lug around all day.

NCirc is Spink.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's some cool stuff for sure!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not voting mainly because you should have your tags in the style you prefer. If these were my coins, I would follow the CNG format and possibly change the font to Times New Roman.

Sorry as I suspect this might be the worst possible answer...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.