Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico experts. Thoughts about this mid-19th century 8 reale

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 24, 2016 10:10AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Picked this up yesterday and thought it was really cool. But I'm having trouble deciding exactly what it is.

At first I thought it was just a run of the mill Mexican 8 reale. KM377, 1864-1895.

But the serpentine of the snake on his right (our left) wing, and the placement of the cactus pads leads me to believe that it's a closer match to 377.5 1828-1830.

It also has the look of a contemporary counterfeit--though It sounds right, it feels right, it's not magnetic, and weight is within about a gram of a real silver coin. Which doesn't seem unrealistic given how worn it is.

Thoughts or opinions?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a severely worn early Zacatecas (pre-1943)

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ay, que suuuaaave.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears from the scratches that someone was sanding or grinding the coin down for an unknown reason.

It doesn't appear to be smooth from circulation wear.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

It also looks like it could have been silver washed.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks more like a Durango to me. And some of them (1830s) can be underweight.

Not to be snooty, but in that condition, who really cares? B)

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    It also looks like it could have been silver washed.

That was actually my first impression, and why I thought it might be a contemporary counterfeit. But the weight, the ring, diameter all seem within reason. Still doesn't explain the appearance, though. Like a well-worn 1960s Morelos peso.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Pruebas - definitely the early Zacatecas eagle and the spines on cactus pads are unlike any other early mint.

• Options

That looks really close!

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Pruebas - definitely the early Zacatecas eagle and the spines on cactus pads are unlike any other early mint.

You got a point there!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting for sure.

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Looks to be a contemporary counterfeit. I think a lot of these were made with very rudimentary equipment and often times were very flatly struck, so they frequently started out with very little detail. (maybe by design to make it look like they circulated, furthering their genuine appearance).

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options

I'm going with likely contemporary counterfeit, I guess. It's unusual, at least from where I am in the midwest. I've never seen anything quite like it before.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a perfect pocket/coversation piece...