Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

After 41 years, I finally landed my dream card - Pics Added

SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Not collecting for 41 years, probably 36 years give or take, but today is a big day for me. As a chubby white kid growing up in Florida who loved the Miami Dolphins and Dan Marino, I had no reason at all to become a fan of Michael Jordan. Blame it on the NBA or Nike marketing machine, but I fell hook, line and sinker. So many great moments in my life, I remember because of Michael Jordan as the backdrop. Listening to the Bulls/Blazers finals by radio with my old friend Sean because we were on a road trip. Coming to tears when the Magic eliminated the Bulls in 1994 while eating chicken tenders at the Pete Rose Ballpark Cafe with my best friend Paul. Meeting my first college sweetheart wearing a white Jordan t-shirt, red Jordan mesh shorts and black/red Air Jordan XIs. First thing she ever said to me was, "Wow, are those shoes shiny enough for you?!?!" I could go on and on, but you get the point.

This certainly is not the most perfect Jordan 10 I have ever seen. Slightly OC, but the time and moment were right to pick it up. Thanks for sharing, Joe

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Nice job picking your white whale up.

Can we see the back please?

Thanks.

• Options

Awesome card Joe! This one is still on my to get list. Way to lock it in on the price dip.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome pickup - Santa came early!!

• Options

@baseball said:
    First off, congratulations! But I'm still confused on how you've been waiting 41 or 36 years to land your dream card that's only been around for 30 years.

Haha, great point. I guess just in the sense of being a collector and always chasing something more than what I had, after 36 years, I have it. I'll post the back tomorrow. Thanks all.

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the man with the coolest username I've ever seen,

Way to go! Awesome card. You must be about my age. I remember those same things....wearing the Jordan's, imitating his moves (below the rim or on a 9 foot goal), checking the paper or watching Sportscenter to see how many points MJ had the night before. I only have a PSA 7, but either way, that is an iconic card!

Shane

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Putting a check mark next to THE bucket list card is an amazing accomplishment. Gives hope to those of us chasing ours.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Congrats!

• Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Very nice card! Congratulations!

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2016 9:03AM

That's a beauty! And Shane, you forgot on copying his moves you had to stick your tongue out as you drove to the basket. Awesome card and a very Merry Christmas to you on that one!!!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Well, a Merry Christmas to you, that is a great pick up!!

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Sincere congratulations on getting a very beautiful card. OK, so the centering is not 50/50 50/50 dead all around. Come on, it IS very well-centered. Whoever submitted it was not gifted a "10". PSA simply does not go soft in judging for the double-digit. That beauty is definitely one to cherish. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - congratulations Joe!

Awesome card.

Merry Christmas to you and everyone at CU.

Mike
  • Options

Ya know, Spin, a thought flashed through my mind. Is this one of your hoaxes?> @IndianaJones said:

Sincere congratulations on getting a very beautiful card. OK, so the centering is not 50/50 50/50 dead all around. Come on, it IS very well-centered. Whoever submitted it was not gifted a "10". PSA simply does not go soft in judging for the double-digit. That beauty is definitely one to cherish. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

December 29, 2016 UPDATE

The thought occurred to me on my way to work a few days ago that this post might just be another one of SPINFADESPLASH23''s hoaxes. Considering he blocked the cert number on the front, and never bothered to post a scan of the backside, I'm just going to consider this another ruse. Wish he would try very, very hard to find something useful and uplifting to do with his time on here, rather than waste ours. Well, I guess that's the best he can do.

---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options

DECEMBER 29, 2016 THE REAL UPDATE

Hello Indiana Jones,

I have read many of your posts on this forum. It is clear you are highly intelligent and express yourself very eloquently most of the time. But other times, you are so far off base, it literally makes me cringe and I end up feeling embarrassed for you.

Another swing and miss makes you 0 for 2. #3 on the list of Don Miguel Ruiz General Life Tips is "Do Not Make Assumptions." And let's be clear - the previous "hoax" as you so cleverly coined it was a "joke" that EVER SINGLE PERSON in the thread got, but you. That is not a hoax, that is just you not getting the joke. Also, who posts about a card they didn't purchase, saying that they actually did purchase it? I don't even get the joke or ruse. That is more like a con man or being a liar.

Since you called me out, I'll address your concerns. Rather than post another substandard "borrowed" scan from the card, I decided to wait and post high quality scans with my new V600 when I have the card in hand (Thanks for the recommendation, DPeck). The card should be here soon. It is currently in transit via Registered Mail and resting in Atlanta, Georgia at the moment.

Perhaps a PM would have been better to address your concerns. Then again, you were more worried about yourself and how you feel, rather than how it may impact my reputation on this forum. But it's all good because you seem to be a generally pleasant person and an asset to the forums. Happy New Year.

Joe

Joe

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

That card is awesome!!!, Im surprised I never noticed the post when it first came out. Busy out in the garage or something lol. Congrats and well deserved.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I sit very much corrected. Though I'm naturally embarrassed; honestly, I understand your reason for the delay. So it is legitimate, you won a PSA 10 Michael Jordan rookie, and I am sincerely happy for you. With the lapse of time since your original post, I did begin to wonder if it was just fantasizing. Let's face it, after that "appreciation of a card collection" thread, and the passage of six more days, it just seemed possible to me that it was all a joke. Obviously, I should have waited longer before opening my sometimes "big mouth".

Yes, I apparently was the only one who fell for your hoax a while back. That became quite a thread, at my expense.

Really, I was not worried about my own reputation, whatever that might be, since until you responded, few have really reacted to what I post here.

Be that as it may, I truly apologize to you, sir, for accusing you, calling you out to sully your own reputation, and bringing a very unpleasant note to your crescendo triumph of having landed what most collectors would view as a dream card.

Please, I would rather be friends. Honestly, I much, much prefer building up other collectors, rather than raining on anyone's parade. So, again, congratulations, Joe. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Confused now. Looks like a nice card

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats Joe! That is awesome. I am happy for you. This card in PSA 10 is truly THE classic card for collectors our age. It is our generation's 52 Mantle, IMO.

Steve
  • Options

Sweet pickup and congrats on the Jordan rookie. Anyone who is a Fins fan is ok in my book - where did you grow up in Florida?

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the pick. Centering may not be perfect, but to me it looks like a nice PSA 10. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2016 2:05PM

@KendallCat said:
    Sweet pickup and congrats on the Jordan rookie. Anyone who is a Fins fan is ok in my book - where did you grow up in Florida?

South Florida area in North Lauderdale, Coconut Creek and Margate. For some reason, I've never moved out of the area. Probably more to do with family than anything else, but all things considered, it's pretty nice.

And thank you for all the nice comments. Still waiting for delivery as registered mail is always slow. The package has both the Jordan and a 1986 Fleer PSA 10 Barkley. Tick tock, tick tock...

Joe

• Options

You are a little north of me. South Fla in Miami - Kendall area hence my name KendallCat. The cat part is for my Wildcats, but people assume it is because I am a cat lover. Don't think my German Shephard or Rhodesian Ridgeback would like a cat in the house :D

Do you have a Shortys BBQ up in your area? Best bbq place ever and been around down here for over 60 years.

KC

• Options

And the wait continues....

No Shorty's in my area that I know of, but we have a Smokey Bones. I'll have to try it out.

Joe

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn! That's gotta be a killer. I can only imagine if that was my 1970 OPC Perreault RC in PSA 10. I'd be going bonkers. :#

Kevin

• Options

Next time, I'll wait until the card is in hand before making a post like this. Lesson learned! Picked up the card today from USPS at lunch, along with his friend. Again, I know it's not a "perfect" 10, but timing and resources were right. Thanks again!

Joe