Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Any predictions for the sports card market/hobby for 2017?

Could related to any niche area, like vintage, modern, graded cards, ebay, big auction houses, specific players, sets, jordan prices, manrle prices, whatever. Interested in reading the forums thoughts about the next 12 months ofntje hobby.

Comments

• Options

I think some company will try to out-price Transcendent

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Something I was thinking about the other day, but I can see Topps Heritage baseball becoming even more popular than it already is. Lots of "big" years are coming up shortly, including the 1968 set this March. Hopefully the autos and relics won't disappoint. I can't wait for when it finally reaches the 1970's..I could see myself seriously collecting Heritage at that point, and could prove to be a lot of fun.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    Tere1071Tere1071 Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited December 23, 2016 10:55AM

Some of the collectors/dealers who are more active with the Heritage sets may disagree, but I see the issues beginning with 2013 receive more of a following than the 2001- 2012 sets. I have the master sets beginning with 2001, but I've noticed that sale prices on the pre-2013 sets on eBay have dropped in price. Some of the individual cards are selling for more, i.e. the 01-03 NAP singles at sometimes ridiculous asking prices and graded SP and SSP cards (the 09 Jeter variation which I still need). Though I don't collect them, the autograph and relic cards seem to still be in demand.

I began collecting in 1969 and my first "old card" purchase was a group of 1st and 2nd series 1968 Topps for 5.00, so I, too, will look forward to seeing the cards of my youth that I was able to purchase in .10 packs reappear. Now if I could only find the original versions, long gone, at those prices once again, LOL.

Looking for NAP singles 01-03, SSP singles 09-present, ad panels, and 13 and 14 black border lots for my sets.

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Jimmy. I think the Topps Heritage will be flying high when it releases the next few years with 1968-1975ish. It should be an interesting time.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

For the modern, I see the mid range items ($100 a box for one pack) will be the area people focus on. I think the cards from the late 60's and 70's will start to see a bump as the generation is entering retirement age and have the extra money to get back into the "childhood".

Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

I think the PSA graded star showing on packs and unopened markets will both go up.

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sportsamerica said:
    I think the cards from the late 60's and 70's will start to see a bump as the generation is entering retirement age and have the extra money to get back into the "childhood".

Items from a given era tend to experience a bump when the buyers are at peak earning period, i.e. in their late thirties and forties. Retirement age is usually when spending pulls back, isn't it?

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Signed vintage cards still increasing