Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

French Medal - Jacques Boyceau by Abraham Dupré

Jacques Boyceau / Landscape with Caterpillars and Butterflies

by Abraham Dupré, 1624

Bronze, 71.0 mm Ø

Obverse: Bust of Jacques Boyceau facing right, wearing ruff, doublet embroidered with flowers, and cloak. Around, IAQVES · BOICEAV · SR · DE · LA · BARRAVDERIE · (Jacques Boyceau, Lord of Barauderie). Under truncation, AB · DVPRE · F · 1624.

Reverse: View of a landscape with caterpillars on the ground and butterflies hovering above. Around, NATVS · HVMI · POST · OPVS · ASTRA · PETO (Born of the Earth, After My Achievement I Reach for the Stars).

Jacques Boyceau de la Barauderie (ca. 1562 - 1633/1638) was Intendant des Jardins (Superintendent of the Gardens) under Henri IV, Marie de' Medici, and Louis XIII. His treatise on gardening, Traité du jardinage, selon les raisons de la nature et de l'art, was published posthumously in 1638.

The reverse has traditionally been interpreted as symbolizing the course of human life, with spiritual rebirth after death. However, Pollard interprets it as simply reflecting Boyceau's pride in his own achievements.

Boyceau was friends with Guillaume Dupré, the father of Abraham, and was godfather to Abraham's brother Jacques. It is likely that the medal's commission derived from this friendship, and it was the first medal created by Abraham. Both Boyceau and Dupré came from Huguenot families.

References: Jones n. 72; Pollard (NGA) n. 654

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful medal! I'm surprised he didn't eliminate the legend guide lines from the mould before the final casting.

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

My you've been busy. Another lovely and interesting medal. Don't recall ever seeing anything like that reverse. Congrats.

Re: 2kop's guideline comment - I've seen some contemporary coins where such lines still remained and wondered the same thing myself. What fun!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys!

@TwoKopeiki said:
    I'm surprised he didn't eliminate the legend guide lines from the mould before the final casting.

That is interesting, and there are actually many Italian and French medals on which the guides remain. They are a boon to collectors, though, as the lines will typically remain sharp and pronounced on "original" contemporary casts, and will fade with successive aftercast generations.

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

I'm here to learn, so kindly show with white arrows where these guide lines appear. I wear 250 cheaters so that might be something to consider when viewing them. Thanks for the great write-up. It's nice that someones vocation can be celebrated on a medal.

Paul
  • IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

@pmac said:
    I'm here to learn, so kindly show with white arrows where these guide lines appear.

They are two thin lines, one above and one below the text. They might be easier to see on these larger images:

Let me know if this helps, otherwise I will try to mark them out later for you to see.