Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mussolini gold coin

A member of our coin club bought a Mussolini gold coin in the auction that he thinks could be worth strong money. I looked in the Krause book of gold coins in Italy and did not see anything during the years he was the leader. Were there other mints that minted a gold coin with him as focus?

Comments

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I'm asking for him, have no idea why people can't do their own research.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Coins" with Mussolini's picture on them are all post-WWII fantasies. Under Mussolini, Italy was still a monarchy and all the actual coins from the Fascist era depicted the monarch's portrait on the obverse.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are Hitler pieces also.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

What sapyx said. These are postwar modern fantasy issues. Some of them can still have some value, particularly when there's silver or gold bullion involved, but historical relics of the Mussolini period they are not.

Ditto for Hitler "coins". Hitler (and for all I know, Mussolini, too) appeared on some tokens and medals of the era, and postage stamps, but not the Third Reich's official circulating coinage.

In Italy in the Mussolini era, their coins still had the portrait of King Victor Emanuel.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Update; I told the NY coin club member about the response I got that it was basically a fantasy coin, and he and the auction guy said that it was worth more due to the rare denomination, etc.. Dubious, but how can you argue with people who don't do their own research??