Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Charles and Joanna Mexican Reales

Can anyone tell me what the relative scarcity is for an Assayer "G" Mexican Real(es) issued in 1542? Also, does anyone know of any evidence that Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo carried any Mexican coins with him on his 1542 expedition off the coast of California?

He sailed from Barra de Navidad, Mexico on 27 Jun 1542, getting as far north as the Russian River in November. He died on the return journey on 3 Jan 1543.

I would like to pick up one of the coins, and am assuming (I know, bad thing to do ;) ) that an early series, Assayer "G" coin would be the most likely to have been the type he might have carried with him, depending on when the change to the late series design was made.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2016 7:32AM

I don't know if any of the following helps but it certainly educated me. Questions such as yours often lead me down informational paths that I otherwise would not have trod. Thank you!

Juan Gutiérrez (Assayer G), 1542-1543
    The major design change from Early Series to Late Series took place under the tenure of Assayer G, and
    all denominations (¼, ½, 1, 2, and 4 reales) were minted in silver. Copper maravedís were minted as well. Additional distinguishing stylistic changes from this point forward can be found in the crowns, castles, and lions (some have tongues again) on the shield side and in the tops of the pillars on the other side.

(Given the fact that the Mexico mint produced so much coinage, it would seem logical to assume that Cabrillo or his men carried such coins with them, although Cabrillo began his voyage in June of 1542 so the output of Assayer G might have been limited at that time as you mentioned in your post).

"The Mexico mint was one of the great mints of Spanish colonial America and the first in the western Hemisphere. From it's initiation in 1536 until the last cob pieces were produced in 1734, it was a major source of nearly one-half of the world's silver supply and much of it's gold. It's 8 reales cobs, known as "reales de a ocho, pesos", and "pieces of eight," circulated throughout the world as a standard medium of exchange. The Mexico mint, along with the Viceroyalty of Peru's minting enterprise at Potosi, would see a run of cob coinage lasting about two centuries. During it's years of service the mint produced totals of roughly 765 million pesos in silver, 9 million pesos in gold and 200,000 pesos in copper.
    Mexico's sustained silver production was only equaled by that of Potosi. The mints production was generally of such high quality that it was not tainted by the scandles that routinely plagued the Potosi facility. It was therefore permitted by the spanish crown to retain it's famous shield style desigh beyound 1652, whereas Potosi not only was forced to change it's design, but was also under constant scrutiny by royal authorities. "

"CABRILLO’S JOURNEY

Cabrillo had three ships in his command, none of them very well built. Besides the San Salvador, a 100-foot galleon, there was the frigate Victoria, commanded by pilot Bartolomé Ferrer (sometimes spelled Ferrelo), and the San Miguel, a small launch commanded by Antonio Correa. The crews of these three vessels numbered about 200 men, many of them forced into service. The San Salvador was armed with cannon.

Cabrillo left the port of Navidad in Mexico on June 27, 1542, with supplies for a two-year voyage. He headed up the coast of Baja (Lower) California. High winds and strong currents slowed the ships down.

Landing in Alta (Upper) California

On September 28, after three months of sailing, Cabrillo brought his ships into a bay which he called a “very good enclosed port.” He named it San Miguel, and claimed the land for Spain. Today it is San Diego Bay. Cabrillo’s was the first known landing of a ship on the coast of Alta (Upper) California.

The ships then continued on up the coast of California, stopping at islands now called Santa Catalina and San Clemente, and passing the Santa Barbara Channel Islands. Along the way they saw and talked with many Indians. They noted the streamers of smoke from Indian campfires along San Pedro and Santa Monica bays. They admired the plank canoes of the Chumash Indians near present-day Oxnard. Cabrillo always made friendly gestures toward the Indians and avoided any fighting.

Forced back by strong winds at Point Conception, the ships anchored at one of the Channel Islands now called San Miguel. During the week they stayed there, Cabrillo apparently fell and broke his arm. However, as soon as the weather allowed, he continued on to the north.

On November 16 the three ships anchored in Monterey Bay. They may well have gone further north, perhaps as far as Point Reyes, but they did not see the entrance to San Francisco Bay. The seas were very stormy and the ships were taking a hard beating. Cabrillo decided to turn south again and they reached San Miguel Island on November 23.

Cabrillo’s Death

Cabrillo died on this island on January 3, 1543. One story says it was a result of his broken arm in October. Others say that he slipped on a rock in December and shattered his shinbone. He then became very ill and died. Reports say that he was buried on San Miguel Island, but the site of his grave is not known."

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato