Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Please help Identify these unusual items, perhaps it is Plate money?

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help identify these items.
And hopefully they are some type of money.
Picked them up a few years ago at a auction in the US “just to buy something numismatic", so I hoped.
I am hopeful that perhaps someone recognizes what these are and can relate to them and hopefully identify one or all.
Despite hours on Google, at present, I have absolutely no idea what these are, what language this is ... simply No idea.... nada.
Thank you in advance for helping out
H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2016 4:56PM

Your number 7A looks like this so yes, plate money.
    If you google plate money quite a bit of information is available.

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure it's as straight forward as that, Laurent. Plate money were produced in copper abundant in Sweden at that time and were large to match the value of silver dalers. Plus those stamps are unlike anything i've seen on plate money.

Nice mystery lot.

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Plus those stamps are unlike anything i've seen on plate money.

Perhaps these were a collection of one-offs by persons who did not normally produce plate money.
    i.e. a unique set of stamps not normally seen...

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the top pieces, the "Haslan" seems pretty legible, as does the "1644". A quick googling turns up a Richard Haslam, who died in Manchester, England, in 1644 in the "Bolton Massacre".

Going back to the first image with that possibility, I can see how it could say "Richard Haslam" or some abbreviation of that, and the date "1644".

That would be intriguing (but obviously in no way conclusive) if I didn't have a very strong suspicion that they are of very recent manufacture, and likely made to deceive.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

I'm no expert but tend to agree > @Weiss said:

That would be intriguing (but obviously in no way conclusive) if I didn't have a very strong suspicion that they are of very recent manufacture, and likely made to deceive.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very intriguing, unusual, and a little bit suspicious to me on a gut level. Still fascinating, though. Obviously I have no idea.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all so far.
    I have the items for about 6 years already. might be even 7.

if these are Basement jobs, someone must be a real artist and have a lot of patience
    It never crossed my mind these could be fakes.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

I am skeptical mainly because they have the appearance of artificial aging. But that is tough to determine from pictures and authentic items could look similar due to storage, cleaning or being buried. The "coins" also seem to be much cruder than the usual Swedish Plate Money.
    I looked in some Oslo Mynthandel auction catalogs but found no pictures of similar money. (but fun looking at them for first time in years) You may want to check their website. They specialize in Norway coins but usually have Swedish and other European stuff for sale or auction.
    Don't give up on my sketchy opinions! B)

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.