Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

PSA Questions

Hi! I just had a few questions about PSA graded cards...

1. What exactly is the inner holder made of? PVC? Mylar, Polyropylene, or Polythylene? Also, does it offer any protection somehow via venting etc. for the natural acid fumes, etc. to escape? I know that CGC puts microchamber acid absorbing paper in their comics, but with two-sided cards I can see how that wouldn't be possible. But venting, yes.

2. Does PSA really increase the value of cards? For example, I've been seeing some pre-war non-sports card sell for what I would grade something for at the exact same price as a PSA graded card would sell for. Yet, if you do the math...it looks as though to grade a lower cost card it's about 18, plus probably about 5-6 to ship it insured, plus you have to pay for shipping/insurance on the way back, so add another 5 to that. I'm guessing minimum 28 dollars just to get something graded. Yet, I'm not really seeing those increases in price when someone pays for a PSA graded card compared to a loose one. Well, perhaps an increase can be seen in a 5+ PSA grade, but 1-4s not so much....

Brent

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer to your second question depends on the rarity of the set as well as the PSA grade. For a 1970s set, for example, a PSA 6 or 7 may not sell for much more than an ungraded card of similar condition. Sometimes the raw card may sell for more as the buyer is anticipating a higher grade. On the other hand, a PSA 9 or 10 will obviously sell for orders of magnitude more than it would ungraded. For very valuable cards grading is essential just to ensure the card is not re-colored or trimmed.