Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I just completed the 1956 Topps Super set to 100%

I think it is just the 3rd set at 100%. That's 455 cards, both gray backs and white backs. Many of the mid-series white backs are tough, and centering is notoriously bad. I tried to get the rest of the cards with perfect or almost perfect centering. I still have about 10 cards to upgrade to better centering (besides the mid series white backs).

Registry sets:
1954 Topps BB
1955 Bowman BB
1956 Topps Super BB
1957 Topps BB
1969 Topps BB
1984 Donruss BB
1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
1960-62 Fleer Team Logo Decals Run

Comments

• Options

How do you edit posts under this new format? I have a correction on the above post. It is 540 cards not 455.

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Congratulations - one major achievement. Did you go raw or graded on this? If graded, what is the GPA? Would enjoy seeing some of your best cards in the collection.

Jim

• Options

The set is graded. I have the 3rd ranked set on the Registry. It is under Starfire030 on the registry. I would be honored if you checked it out.

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely awesome set!!!

Getting the variations is like collecting 2 sets.

Most super nice for the grade also.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

Does anyone know why there is 2 different backs?

I know PSA only recently started differentiating the diff backs.......but does actual scarcity correspond to psa pops?

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Just looked at many of your registered sets - "Holy Guacamole" is all I can say!! An unbelievable number of absolutely awesome cards. Now to clean the "drool" off my keyboard.

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

Very good achievement and outstanding set ------ Sonny

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Amazing achievement. Curious as to what the competition is like for those 2nd series white backs? I know how rare those are. When I was completing my own 56 set, I looked for the best centered card with no regard to whether it was GB or WB. When I finished, I only had one of the 80 cards in WB.

Also, am I crazy or can you sort of tell if a card is WB without seeing the back? Seems like they're grainier with not as sharp a focus as the GB's.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

Thank you all for the nice comments. After years of searching for cards and building the set, it is nice to hear some kind words.

Jay-yes it is like collecting two sets. The basic set has 340 cards and the super set has 540 cards, so that is 200 more cards. You ask if scarcity equates to PSA pops. The numbers are not exact because years ago when cards were graded, they were not assigned a color of the back. Therefore there are some cards that are listed in the first series as white backs that are gray backs and some cards in the second series listed as gray backs that are white backs. They only started listing the pops of the different color backs when PSA included it in the title strip. I am not sure when PSA started listing the color of the backs on the title strip. I think it has been 5 or 6 years. In all those years there is still a fairly small number of first series gray backs and second series white backs. So, in answer to your question, yes the cards are scarce, but not quite as scarce as the pops indicate. If you have tried to collect the set and are looking for second series white backs in a grade above PSA 5, you know how scarce they are.

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • Options

Mr. Peanut, there is a slight difference in the two cards. When you hold the cards side by side (gray back and white back) I see a consistent lighter color in the white backs. Without holding the cards side by side, I have a tough time telling the color of the back.

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • Options

I collect NY Yankee team sets in PSA 8. Unfortunately I still need mantle and TC in 56.
    The 2 most $. Just starting to look for the master set of both backs. I can see from the
    pop report both Berra and Rizzuto don't even have an 8 yet.
    I was surprised to learn PSA has mislabeled some in the early days.

PSA only recently distinguished the 59 set backs. The pops are definitely a tad screwed up there.

I look for high end centered cards myself and they might be only 25% of the population out there.
    Anyways I am super impressed with the quality of the set as well.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options

Jay- I did not mean to mislead you that PSA mislabeled some cards in the early days. They did not mislabel them, they just did not distinguish between the white backs and gray backs and did not put any color on the label. If you check 1956 cards on eBay, there are some older cards that do not have any color designation on them. Unless the seller tells you the back color of the card, you cannot tell if it is white or gray.

If you like higher end centered cards, I invite you to check out my 1957 Topps Baseball set. I still have quite a few cards to upgrade for centering, but overall worth looking over. My Master Set is #8 on the Registry under Starfire030.

Yes, Berra and Rizzuto do not have any white backs graded 8 yet, but Killebrew, #164, does not even have a 7 yet.

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • Options

"numbers are not exact because years ago when cards were graded, they were not assigned a color of the back. Therefore there are some cards that are listed in the first series as white backs that are gray backs and some cards in the second series listed as gray backs that are white backs. "

This is what confused me. If they are listed as either white/gray then to me that assumes PSA had knowledge of the difference. I know early grading of these cards are not distinguished.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    "numbers are not exact because years ago when cards were graded, they were not assigned a color of the back. Therefore there are some cards that are listed in the first series as white backs that are gray backs and some cards in the second series listed as gray backs that are white backs. "

This is what confused me. If they are listed as either white/gray then to me that assumes PSA had knowledge of the difference. I know early grading of these cards are not distinguished.

Just to clarify a little bit. I believe this is only reflected in the pop report. If you look at WB pops in the 2nd series, those numbers reflect only the WB's graded since they started identifying the back on the slab. Undoubtedly there are WBs residing in slabs graded before they started identifying GB or WB but they are just lumped in with the much more common GBs in the pop report. This won't change until the owner of the card gets it re-slabbed.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

Just joined the forum. What an awesome set, great accomplishment. I'm looking for '56 Topps baseball cards psa 9.

• Options
    SpahnfanSpahnfan Posts: 412 ✭✭

Thanks for the compliment on my set. When I first read your post, I thought you were going to build a set in PSA 9. That would be quite and accomplishment. As I read it again, it sounds like you just want some 1956 PSA 9 cards. That is also a nice goal. Good luck with your acquisitions and show us some you get.

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • Options

Congrats on an amazing accomplishment! You have shown remarkable determination to reach this point. 1956 Topps has always been my favorite set. -Mike

SinibobCards@aol.com

Working on 56T BB and 80T BB
    Looking to trade blocks of BB graded commons for other blocks of BB commons

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/sinibobcards/othersets/3205

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sinibobsystems/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
  • Options

I checked out your set. You have a nice start on your set. The Mantle in PSA 8 is outstanding! I have quite a few of the cards you are missing in grades of 7 and 8. I also have quite a few to upgrade your 6's and below to 7 or 8. Send me PM if you want to discuss.

Registry sets:
    1954 Topps BB
    1955 Bowman BB
    1956 Topps Super BB
    1957 Topps BB
    1969 Topps BB
    1984 Donruss BB
    1961 Fleer W.S. Pennants
  • Options
    kidsoxkidsox Posts: 120 ✭✭

I just now read this thread of Spahnfan's stunning accomplishment and learned a lot from everyone's posts. Thanks to all. Several years ago, through a similar forum, I discovered I had a 1959 Topps Haywood Sullivan PSA 8 no circle copyright U.S.A in my collection. At the time it was 1/1 with none higher! I couldn't resist having it reslabbed and selling it for much more than today's price guide.
    Now I realize I have a 1956 #20 Al Kaline PSA 8 Gray Back, which I probably won't sell. Since the price guide doesn't distinguish grays from whites, I'm curious about its value. I would greatly appreciate any estimates. I think it's 1/43 with 5 higher. Thanks.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2017 12:26PM

There's very little price difference with the white and grays in the 1-100 series. The qualities of the card will have more of an impact on the selling price over what color the back is. From 101-180 it's a whole different story with higher grade white backs selling for multiples of a gray back.

The pop listing for gray at 43 is very misleading in terms of what's actually out there in PSA 8 holders. It simply means there's 43 PSA 8 labels out there with gray listed on them. Under the pop listing for white it lists 230 but that includes labels that list white, and labels that list nothing for color, the vast majority of which were graded prior to PSA identifying the back color. If you gathered all 273 of them up and sorted them by actual back color the difference between white and gray would probably be within 10-20%, and due to the large quantity of both available, not significant enough to warrant a price difference based on back color. Quality of card yes, back color no.