Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Nice Topps Venezuelan Whitey Ford - PSA 1?

BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 12, 2016 7:02PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I purchased this 1966 Venezuelan Whitey Ford thinking there must be creases or something not showing on the scans to bring it down to a PSA 1. I guess maybe it's the overall discoloration because it's a really nice card. I'm glad it graded a 1 because it probably scared others away. Looks much nicer actual size too!

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I would crack and resub. It looks like a 3-4 to me.

• Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

It had multiple creases on the front

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Any paper loss on the back?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cpettimd said:
    It had multiple creases on the front

Agree. Horizontally, from left white border,through other player on the card, continuing across Fords arm/sleeve. Also below his left elbow a horizontal crease. And the obvious staining especially through "F" of "FORD".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2016 6:13AM

It's weird with what appear to be creases on the front. When I look at the card in hand, at any angle, there are no creases. The link from the eBay sale is a better representation of the card than my scan:
    ebay.com/itm/1966-Venezuela-Topps-Whitey-Ford-160-PSA-1-PR-PWCC-/142193215663?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Yl8kvGF%252BfOyQRzPqpRYznca3d4Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Daniel
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

What distinguishes this as a Venezuelan - BTW?

No spanish on the card and is printed in the US.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

Are those white spots on the back from paper loss? If so that might explain the 1.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking Vene. I've subbed a lot of items from this set. Some of mine with the same degree of paper loss you have there have still managed to swing a 2 or at least 1.5, but sometimes they get a 1. It really depends on which grader you get. You have a chance at a 2 if you crack and resub. The paper loss that most takes away from the grade is the spot in the lower right corner on back near the word Whitey in the drawing area where it talks about him winning 10 WS games, and also but probably less so, the area between the years 1959-1961 and New York in the statistical data table. For a 1, that is really nice. I'd expect more paper loss than the amount you have if I were buying a 1.

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@saucywombat said:
    What distinguishes this as a Venezuelan - BTW?

No spanish on the card and is printed in the US.

Take a look at this page...

https://lifetimetopps.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/a-look-back-at-topps-venezuelan-1959-1968/

• Options

saucy: The Venezuela cards are printed on more fragile stock and do not have a glossy finish on the fornt. The big challenge is that it was customary to glue them into albums and it's hard to find cards with clean backs.

I gave this card another hard look and there truly are no creases on the front of it, despite what my scan is showing. I've been collecting cards for decades and I can recognize a crease. I did, however, spot some glue residue on the front of the card. Between that and the paper loss on the back, I guess I can see the PSA 1. No need to try to bump it - if anything, the grade probably got me a decent eye appeal card for a cheaper price.

Daniel
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

_I gave this card another hard look and there truly are no creases on the front of it, despite what my scan is showing. I've been collecting cards for decades and I can recognize a crease. _

• Options

I don't know what to tell you, KB. Scanner acting weird? I actually possess the card - I was honestly expecting creases that did not show up on the eBay scans but they're not there. I know it's hard to believe when seeing the image above.

Daniel
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Your card was removed from an album. You can see the formerly glued areas on the back. It looks decent from the front, but they got it correct, it's a 1.