Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps - What is the difficulty by series / numbers

I am considering building a run of 1952 Topps. I know the high numbers are expensive and I believe there is a mid-series that is pricier than the lower numbers. Can anyone give me an idea of what the series numbers are and relative scarcity? I have about 45 different cards (around VG/EX to EX) and the highest number I have is 257.

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

There are a few single prints in the 131-190, 191-250, and 251-310 series which are a bit tougher.

I'd think
    Hi series 311-407
    251-310
    131-190
    191-250
    1-80 blacks
    1-80 reds
    81-130

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2016 6:19AM

Thanks, Ted. I may start a set up to #310 and see where that goes. Those cards are classics even though it's loaded with scrubs :-) I know the high #s are very expensive, even for commons.

Daniel
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

In VGEX to EX range there's really nothing significantly more difficult in the 1-310 range. There's some slightly more difficult cards to find in the lows, mids, and semis but it has more to do with the popularity of the player rather than card number or series. Before concentrating solely on the 1-310 range, get to know what's a good deal on the highs, and if you run across a good deal on a high...buy it. There will always be lots of good deals on 1-310 to buy but not so much on the highs. Also, if at some point you decide to focus your collecting elsewhere, you'll do much better selling off well bought highs than the more plentiful 1-310 cards.

• Options

@KbKards said:
    In VGEX to EX range there's really nothing significantly more difficult in the 1-310 range. There's some slightly more difficult cards to find in the lows, mids, and semis but it has more to do with the popularity of the player rather than card number or series. Before concentrating solely on the 1-310 range, get to know what's a good deal on the highs, and if you run across a good deal on a high...buy it. There will always be lots of good deals on 1-310 to buy but not so much on the highs. Also, if at some point you decide to focus your collecting elsewhere, you'll do much better selling off well bought highs than the more plentiful 1-310 cards.

Agree with this. In fact, I've started making a dent in the set, and started to try and get the HOF's/Stars first (even in the low #'s). With the Hi #'s just take your time and pick them up. The low series commons, is what I am going to fill in last. They say that the HOF/Stars rise in value compared to the commons.

There is something about the High#'s they are wildly in demand, and of course with the short supply and demand make them popular. It is really hard to find them less than $75 even in poor condition. That tells you the value that they have!

Good Luck

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I had mentioned, I have about 45 different 52 Topps cards. I'd say they range from VG/EX to EX. I paid an average of $8 per card. Earlier this week, an eBay seller was auctioning off a complete set, card by card (less the big boys). I put in snipes of (mostly) $7.28 (some more) for around 125 or so cards. I won exactly zero! I was pretty surprised as I thought I'd get 20 or so at that price. Oh, well.

Daniel
  • Options

The days of finding these and lesser for 10$ and 5$ are dwindling!

• Options

Yes, nothing like 52 topps!

Daniel, you're collecting a good condition range, VG.EX to EX, they look beautiful. They are little pricey on some cards, but they retain value or go up (especially good eye appeal VGEX to EX)

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2016 5:14PM

I found that 1-80 seem a bit more difficult to find in top condition among cards 1-310 and you'll notice that in any selling in high grade. High numbers could take a long time to complete but keep at it. Many people like myself who have been at it off and on for years are still pursuing that set. Good luck.

• Options

If the set isnt challenging enough, try a signed one!

Best of luck on your quest

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bumping this thread after reading today about the rare grey backs. I saw a thread about this card and it really looks like there is some serious interest among hardcore 52 collectors in them. I read a few threads from over the years and it sounds like there isn't a total consensus on how they came to be. This is a fun auction to follow for anyone who likes to see rare cards auctioned off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-189-PETE-REISER-INDIANS-GRAY-BACK-PSA-1-5/142502218809?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=41376&meid=a9af93b0fede475cb51ea67c48dd40f1&pid=100033&rk=3&rkt=7&sd=112562001507&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    Bumping this thread after reading today about the rare grey backs. I saw a thread about this card and it really looks like there is some serious interest among hardcore 52 collectors in them. I read a few threads from over the years and it sounds like there isn't a total consensus on how they came to be. This is a fun auction to follow for anyone who likes to see rare cards auctioned off.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-189-PETE-REISER-INDIANS-GRAY-BACK-PSA-1-5/142502218809?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=41376&meid=a9af93b0fede475cb51ea67c48dd40f1&pid=100033&rk=3&rkt=7&sd=112562001507&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

Just imagine if the Mantle or any of the other BIG cards was this rare.

• Options

That would be crazy.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2015/fall/662/extremely-rare-1952-topps-canadian-gray-backs-near-complete-psa-set/

This really caught my attention. Check out the hammer price vs. the reserve and estimate.

• Options

And that run was missing the Reiser. Strangely enough 3 were graded this year and all three came for sale. I can remember seeing one other, the psa 8 sell years ago, but no others....ever

• Options

@RipublicaninMass said:
    And that run was missing the Reiser. Strangely enough 3 were graded this year and all three came for sale. I can remember seeing one other, the psa 8 sell years ago, but no others....ever

From what I could tell this was the lowest pop from the subset. Are there any major star cards?

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Daniel

That "is" a pricey set for sure.

Even in a 1, the Mantle - now - is expensive IMO.

I have 45 graded cards - I pick them up every now and again just because I think they look really nice.

Best of luck with your project.

Mike
  • Options

@Dpeck100 said:

@RipublicaninMass said:

From what I could tell this was the lowest pop from the subset. Are there any major star cards?

Billy the kid Martin RC

• Options

@RipublicaninMass said:

@Dpeck100 said:

@RipublicaninMass said:

Billy the kid Martin RC

The old thread I found in the Google search had some scans of one. Must be a valuable card.

• Options

Certainly is if you can find one. Before ebay even high numbers would have been almost impossibe to finish, let alone the gray back subset. Then again maybe card shows would still be flourishing. The advent of ebay has brought manynof these obscure cards into the limelight

• Options

Ebay isn't perfect but without it most of our collections wouldn't be possible.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

How many different versions of the House yellow Tiger exist in gray back ?

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

My opinion, there is only one Yellow Tiger House gray back, that which does not have the green throat, and has the grayish front. I believe only 3 have surfaced, making it a third tougher than a Reiser gray back :)

In the cream back, there are some that have partial red tiger, those that do have the red missing from his throat leave it with an appearance of a green streak.