Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Is this allowed ??? In Ebay stocks and bonds category ???

These EE bonds have the buyers name adddress and SSN on them and they are not that old . That is insane , thats all a person would need to steal an identity.

ebay.com/itm/US-Savings-Bonds-3-500-100-50-00-SAVINGS-BOND-SERIES-EE-/172439260487?hash=item28262e4d47:g:w0UAAOSw44BYSvWE

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other sellers cover up that information. I would imagine the named individuals are deceased, but who knows?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the very least I would obscure it in the image I thought about reporting the listing but none of the choices seemed to fit

• Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Why would someone buy a bond(s) that's not worth anything? Even one uncashed could be considered stolen merchandise?
    A novelty because treasury direct no longer issues paper bonds?

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2016 11:25AM

Why would a collector pay good money for a stamp that's been cancelled? There are all kinds of things that are collectable which have no "face value". Savings bonds are not considered stolen simply because they have someone else's name on them. They may have been lost, replaced and later found, and so the originals can no longer be redeemed. They can still be sold to collectors. The only illegal activity would be to misrepresent your identity in order to cash them.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2016 6:47PM

I just took a look at that ebay posting and saw something I did NOT like: Social Security numbers. That is very bad and should be reported. Sorry Bronco, I didn't read your initial post carefully.

Edit: Looks like the seller is now at least blocking out the SS on similar items.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.