Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Should an autographed card be part of a players "basic" set ?

mgiobbemgiobbe Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited December 7, 2016 1:28PM in PSA Set Registry Forum
MG

Should an autographed card be part of a players "basic" set ?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    no, it should never be part of a "Basic" set.

I voted no on the assumption you are talking about it being allowed as an either/or option... where a non-auto base card exists and an autographed version of that same card exists too (i.e. Stadium Club).

In which case, my NO vote is not just a NO vote... but a STRONG NO vote!!!

Now, on the other hand, if the only base card produced in the product is an autographed card... then, yes, it should be allowed. However, given the limited company sets allowed in "Basic" player sets... I don't foresee that ever happening!

• mgiobbemgiobbe Posts: 12 ✭✭

My inquiry stemmed from the Sidney Crosby Basic set which has his rookie year 2005 SP Authentic card #181 - which is an auto. He has no non-auto in that set.

MG
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2016 2:34PM

@mgiobbe said:
    My inquiry stemmed from the Sidney Crosby Basic set which has his rookie year 2005 SP Authentic card #181 - which is an auto. He has no non-auto in that set.

SP Authentic is one of the required brands for a Basic player set. Just because it's autographed, it doesn't change the fact that it is his only base card from 2005 SP Authentic. In that case, yes, it should be included as part of his Basic player set.

You can't disregard a brand (a required brand for the set), just because the only base card they produced of a player for a given year is an autographed card!

As a mostly baseball player collector, I guess I didn't originally think about higher tier (required) brand rookie cards. Sure enough, his 2008 Auto Jersey card from SP Authentic is part of Clayton Kershaw's basic set... as it should be!