Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What do you think the value of this lot is?

Hi All,

I'm a HUGE fan of Mr. Dombrowski and am thinking of adding this lot to my collection. I have spoken to the person selling the auction and I'm 100% confident in the authenticity of the items. I wanted to ask others in the industry what they thought it is worth so I could make a strong offer and use your expertise as my rationale for the offer.

Here is a link to the lot on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Dave-Dombrowski-Locker-Contents-Detroit-Tigers-Boston-Red-Sox-Marlins-Expos-/162287423151?

Thank you very much for your input!

Rush

Answers

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

Be careful. I recently bought a Dave Dombrowski jacket and it turned out to be fake. And now I'm out 15 bucks.

• Options

With all due respect, if you paid $15, did you really think it was authentic? I've spoken with the seller and I know this auction is authentic, these were Dave's belongings.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

I'd offer around $50 in trade for it. Sorry just don't get it

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@Rush474747 said:
    With all due respect, if you paid $15, did you really think it was authentic? I've spoken with the seller and I know this auction is authentic, these were Dave's belongings.

With all due respect, I think that's your ebay listing.

• Options

I'd have posted it in the "Buy, Sell, Trade" section if it was mine to get offers. I'm just trying to get some advice because its not something you see for sale so there's no benchmark as far as price goes. I think its neat but I don't want to overpay (and I certainly wouldn't come close to the but it now price) especially when I'd need to frame the jacket and find another way to display the other non-feature pieces.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listing states the items should be in the HOF. Perhaps I am out of touch but why on earth would a GM's attire belong in the HOF???

I see no value other than the contents. Offer $350 to $450 would be my advice. Might be on the high side.

• Options

@Dpeck100 said:
    Listing states the items should be in the HOF. Perhaps I am out of touch but why on earth would a GM's attire belong in the HOF???

I see no value other than the contents. Offer $350 to $450 would be my advice. Might be on the high side.

Thanks Dpeck! I appreciate the quote and I was thinking of offering something similar but didn't want to come in at less than 10% of list price. And just for reference, there are 33 baseball executives in the HOF, so there is a chance he could one day be in the HOF even though he did not play.

• Options

WOW this is a highly sought after item. Two new members chomping at the bit for it. Good luck guys. Let us know how you make out.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

"What in the Wide Wide Wold of Sports is Going on Here"???

• Options
    justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

I am not too confident with this lot. I know the Tigers put JSG on items that are game used as the equipment managers marks them with these initials before they go out to the public. I'm not sure if this is the same for the General Manager, but I would be careful. Also, this is way overvalued. Dombrowski has won one World Series and has a record under .500 as a GM. I highly doubt he will ever be in the Hall of Fame. I don't see this being worth over $200, and I feel like I am being generous with that estimate.

• Options

This board is great. You just saved someone some serious cash.

• Options

@justrun7 said:
    I am not too confident with this lot. I know the Tigers put JSG on items that are game used as the equipment managers marks them with these initials before they go out to the public. I'm not sure if this is the same for the General Manager, but I would be careful. Also, this is way overvalued. Dombrowski has won one World Series and has a record under .500 as a GM. I highly doubt he will ever be in the Hall of Fame. I don't see this being worth over $200, and I feel like I am being generous with that estimate.

Can I ask what JSG is? I wouldn't think a game used stamp would be appropriate for a non-player but maybe it is. No doubt the item is seriously over-listed, just wasn't sure what to offer especially when I was thinking to offer a fraction of the list price. I clearly like Dombrowski as an executive more than you for what he did for my Tigers (early 2000's were terrible).

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

This thread rocks....can't wait to see the results!!!!

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Rocks ???

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    Rocks ???

They don't call me double-live Gonzer for nuthin'!

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    Rocks ???

This post made it. I will be watching diligently over the next couple of days to ensure whether or not a deal was made on these rare pieces of Americana and I wish all involved nothing but good luck...lots of guys are invested into this now so I hope we don't get let down...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

@Rush474747 said:

@justrun7 said:

Can I ask what JSG is? I wouldn't think a game used stamp would be appropriate for a non-player but maybe it is. No doubt the item is seriously over-listed, just wasn't sure what to offer especially when I was thinking to offer a fraction of the list price. I clearly like Dombrowski as an executive more than you for what he did for my Tigers (early 2000's were terrible).

JSG stands for Jim Schmakel - Gamer. Schmakel is the equipment manager for the Tigers and marks these initials on the tags to identify the jersey as game used. Like I said, I do not know how far this extends, but it is something to be wary of. Here are some examples from Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander jerseys that sold through Goldin Auctions and are MLB authenticated.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebalfreak47695b said:

@Dpeck100 said:

Thanks Dpeck! I appreciate the quote and I was thinking of offering something similar but didn't want to come in at less than 10% of list price. And just for reference, there are 33 baseball executives in the HOF, so there is a chance he could one day be in the HOF even though he did not play.

Aren't you the seller of this lot?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Rob checked with some people and decided that although the jersey is legit, owning one, or worse, wearing it on stage would not prove beneficial. Hi offer is 25 bucks. He then though laughed and screamed simultaneously while on stage.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Do I win with the offer of $50 in trade? Ok, final offer $52.75 in trade.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

I like the description. This really belongs in the HOF, but I am going to sell it for an insane amount of money instead. But hey, you as the buyer can go ahead and donate it to the HOF, because that is where it belongs!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

"This could be in a museum some day! It's not safe with me! It should really be in a doormanned building."

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

i would find out what Goodwill's buy price on the items are and then go from there.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

my only regret is not seeing this thread earlier.

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Multiple sign in mix ups. Bummer.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

@sushihotwings said:

Yup, seems like someone forgot to keep track.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ugaskidawg said:

@sushihotwings said:

Yup, seems like someone forgot to keep track.

The guy has at least 7 simultaneous alts going right now. I guess that makes it easy for him to forget which account he is using when he posts.

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2016 2:25PM

He is now in hope the thread just goes away mode. What is the max tax write off per year with the Salvation Army ?

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rush aka basebal freak- Whoops! That was funny. Thanks for the laugh.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

l'm bummed because I thought it was for a Dave Dombrow ski jacket. He designed the Stephen Curry shoe for Under Armour. I'm a huge fan of the shoe and he's a lock for the HOF.

• Options

OP and friends. I kind of like that jacket and could use a wind breaker. What size is it?

I am willing to pay more than $52.75 and if it is a medium will go $75 for it.

Let me know.

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

For the low price of $8999.99 you can get $20 worth of Goodwill clothes.