Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

CU JANUARY 2017 GIFT EXCHANGE Thread

ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

So the gift exchange is on for the end of January. It will allow us to celebrate everything sports related once the holidays have dissipated a bit. Upon the recommendation of another member, this event will coincide with the birthdays of 3 great players: Robinson, Banks and Ryan. A "Robankyan" Holiday so to say.

I encourage everyone to get creative and have a good time.

So that everyone has enough time to go through their own PC and inventory--plus shop online--we are going to move this along pretty quickly.

Here are the rules for the gift exchange:

1. Seeing as no one volunteered for Tier One in the previous post, this will be a Tier 2 swap only. Therefore the packages need to be valued at $125-$250.

2. This value needs to be appropriately determined using VCP, recent eBay sales prices, SMR, etc. Make sure the minimum value is $125. I'm sure most will far exceed the minimum. Any sports related items are free game!

3. Once finalized, each participant will need to send me 2 lists. One list of things they would like to have and one list of things they have to pass along.

4. Along with your lists, I will need your shipping address as well.

5. You can buy your gifts or pull from your individual collections. If you buy your gifts, please take into account ship times to you and then ship times to your recipient.

6. You need to get as close to you recipient's wish list as possible. I will pair folks up as close as possible. Just know that if you get paired with someone who doesn't match what you have exactly, I did the best I could.

7. Wrap your items before you package them up. Write "CU BOARDS" on the return shipping label. You can choose to put your return address on the label or not, just not your name!

8. Post Count Minimum: I feel to make this fair, post counts need to be in excess of 100. Two individuals were interested in participating with post counts below this minimum (@mcpheely and @OldEnglishD5). This is not to single you out, but to make this more credible/fair. There is a way around this If you have lower than the 100 post count minimum, you can have a more active member of this community step up and vouch for you. If more seasoned veterans of CU disagree with me on this, let me know and I will change this rule. I'm open to suggestions.

Although not required, I hope that every person participating does a couple things...

• Be gracious for what is given/received and thank your secret gift giver
  • Post pictures of your loot after opening :)

Here are the Deadlines:

• The participant list will be open until next Tuesday, 12/13 at 12 noon (EST). At that time, the participant list will close.
  • Once the participants are finalized, I will need to have everyone send me their wants/have lists by Thursday, 12/15 at 12 noon (EST). You can do this before the list has been finalized as well.
  • As long as I get all the lists on time, I will pair everyone up by Friday, 12/16 at 12 noon (EST)
  • Packages need to be delivered to the recipient by Friday, January 27, 2017.
  • The official gift opening will occur on Tuesday, January 31, 2017. We will post all the loot to this thread.

I will be following up with you to make sure everything is getting put together and sent out. Please do me the favor and let me know that you received your recipients information and when you ship out your package.

Below is a list of everyone who expressed interest in this on the previous post. If you are no longer interested, please let me know and I will remove you. If you were on the fence and the holiday season was getting in the way of you participating, think about doing it now that it is being extended to the end of January. Let's do this!!

1. @maddux69 (received gift from mystery giver)
  2. @yankeesman (received gift from mystery giver)
  3. @ugaskidawg (received gift from mystery giver)
  4. @cpettimd (received gift from mystery giver)
  5. @SpinFadeSplash23 (received gift from mystery giver)
  6. @1957Braves (received gift from mystery giver)
  7. @Dragnet (received gift from mystery giver)
  8. @flatfoot816 (received gift from mystery giver)
  9. @pjb103183 (received gift from mystery giver)
  10. @Frozencaribou (received gift from mystery giver)

Comments

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

I'm still interested and excited to participate. This would be my first time. Can someone who has participated before sort of give me the "best practices"?

There's the letter of the law and the spirt of the law. Do people typically tend towards the higher end of the range? I don't want to say that I spent $125.01 on items and say I've fulfilled the requirement. I can also see going over a bit, but spending $400 or so seems maybe overboard.

Also, how specific should the want list be?

• Options

I look forward to inclusion and being credible in the future. I totally understand and hope to be included next year.

Seller ALFLAIR on eBay. for many vintage PSA and raw card sales. PSA Set Registry OldEnglishD with various sets including 71 Fleer Globetrotters, 71 Topps Football, and 64 Topps Standups. Also under FarFars (various sets) on the registry.
  • Options

No worries everybody. I understand. Have fun, and I hope everybody gets something they're super excited about. Good luck. Once again, no hard feelings. Happy holidays. Chad

• Options

Thanks guys for understanding.

@1957Braves - those are some great questions. This is the first year I have done this with CU, but I have done it at other times in the past with other groups and am currently in another Secret Santa with another group this year.

As far as the value, it is up to you, but most guys go over the minimum. Although the max is listed as $250, if people choose to go over, it purely is done because they just love to give without the expectation to get it dollar-for-dollar back in return. However, there was a member last year that gave well below the minimum and it rubbed folks the wrong way understandably. This exchange is to make someone else smile and get the thrill of opening something up from someone else. It is in the spirit of giving :)

As far as the list, the more specific the better. You can send me checklists, list of areas of interests, registry links, etc.

Hope this helps and others can chime in if I've said anything wrong or have anything to add.

Looking forward to it!

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

•Be gracious for what is given/received and thank your secret gift giver

Sounds too much like the Game of Thrones Walk of Shame thing.

• Options

I am receiving some information from those who have joined in on this. You can send your lists now if you wish. You do not need to wait. I will update the OP with those that I have received information from. Thanks again!

• Options

@OddRodz said:
    •Be gracious for what is given/received and thank your secret gift giver

Sounds too much like the Game of Thrones Walk of Shame thing.

It is listed as a request because Cersei didn't thank her CU gift giver last year.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

I am in if it gets going

• Options

Updated the original post.

Let's see if we can get some more folks on board!

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

You know what's cool? January 31 is my birthday so this works out great. Brent, even if we don't get all that many people (I sure hope we do), can we move forward with the people that do sign up for this by the deadline? I guess it would need to be an even number however since each person would need someone to exchange with. I think this will be really cool.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2016 6:30PM

Hey Jimmy - I am planning on moving forward with whoever is up for it, which is 6 currently (I have lists from 5). We can do it with an odd number. I thought the same thing initially, but another CU member pointed out that it can be done with an odd number too. Complex math problem that involved carrying the 7 and multiplying it by the square root of pi. Seriously, we will be good!

ETA: we now have 7 confirmed

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

LOL

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

@1957Braves said:
    I'm still interested and excited to participate. This would be my first time. Can someone who has participated before sort of give me the "best practices"?

There's the letter of the law and the spirt of the law. Do people typically tend towards the higher end of the range? I don't want to say that I spent $125.01 on items and say I've fulfilled the requirement. I can also see going over a bit, but spending $400 or so seems maybe overboard.

Also, how specific should the want list be?

I'd be specific. Had one guy two years where I said "PSA Nolan Ryans, Griffeys, Bo Jacksons" and I got like 5 or 6 PSA 5's that were probably bought for less than grading fees. I wasn't expecting a Gem Mint UD Griffey rookie or anything, but knowing how most people go above and beyond, figured I'd get some nice cards I could enjoy. Not just someones subbed rejects.

Make sure you say thank you. That same year I spent a lot of time hunting down some really cool oddball stuff for a Hank Aaron collector, and they never posted a thank you.

Between those two events I sat out last year. It was pretty much a bummer all around.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

_However, there was a member last year that gave well below the minimum and it rubbed folks the wrong way understandably. _

Hit 'em with the kleiiiiiiinnnn

• Options

Daily bump for new participants.

New folks sign up by next Tuesday.

Got 8 folks so far, so we are in a good spot to have a good group to move forward. Wanna try and get some more!

Happy Friday and everyone have a great weekend.

• Options

Whoever gets me better start looking now for a 1986 Topps baseball cello pack with Moose Haas on top, Kent Hrbek back.

• Options

Sunday bump. Updated first post. We got 9 confirmed so far. Lists are looking good!

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

I signed up on another board when this fizzled out so going to do that one.

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options

Last bump before the deadline tomorrow at noon!

We are moving forward with at least 9 and I think it will be a great exchange. If anyone else is wanting to sign up, just post and I'll get you the info.

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

Ive paticipated in the CU gift exchange for the past 3 years, and it has been a great joy giving and receiving gifts with fellow collectors...count me in please

-Phillip

• Options

Sounds great Phillip. We are at 10!

• Options

We are moving this forward. I have 13 total people that have voiced their interest, 10 of which who have officially confirmed since moving this to a new thread. Of those 10, I have the lists and addresses of 7.

I need to have everyone's final lists/address to me by noon on Thursday. If I get them before then, I will match sooner. If all goes smooth, I should be sending out pairings by noon this Friday. That will give all of us about a month and a half to shop and search our collections.

I've heard a lot of excitement from those who I have chatted with so far. Looking forward to it!

• Options

Hope to have the pairings today for all participants. It has been great receiving all of your lists and look forward to doing this with y'all!

• Options

I have sent out pairings tonight! Let's do this!

• Options

Thanks for putting this together. The hunt begins!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2016 7:17AM

This is gonna be fun. I had a message about pairings that I thought I would clarify for the whole group. No sender/recipient were paired together giving to each other. Everyone has a unique pairing.

• Options

I have heard back from some of you regarding receiving your recipient's information. I will update the OP as I get those confirmations. Thanks all!

• Options

This should be a lot of fun....plenty of time to shop!

• Options

I have got word that folks are well on their way to getting packages put together. The first of the packages have also been mailed out! About a month out!

• Options

4 weeks away from this thing!

• Options

my 1st gift arrived for my recipient today

• Options

Getting messages that gifts are starting to get delivered to the senders. Can't wait to see what everyone gets!

• Options

Now getting messages that gifts are on the way to their recipients! I've heard a few of the gifts being given and they sound incredible. Awesome job guys!

• Options

Hey y'all - we are 3 weeks out from the cardboard carnage.

I think most of you have already put your packages/orders together, but for any who haven't, Just wanted to bump this to remind you. I'm asking that everyone plan to have their packages arrive to the recipient's doorstep by January 27. That way in case of delivery delays, it still gets there in plenty of time.

Looking forward to it all!

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭

I don't believe I posted but I got my package in the mail and now have to stare at that sucker for 3 more weeks! Looking very forward to this!!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

I received a package in todays mail

• Options

@yankeesman said:
    I don't believe I posted but I got my package in the mail and now have to stare at that sucker for 3 more weeks! Looking very forward to this!!!

Almost time. Just be patient a little longer. Don't worry; there's nothing alive in there. It shouldn't be, at least.

• Options

About 2 weeks to go! I got individual messages out as a reminder (unless I had already heard from you regarding delivery/gift status).

Can't wait to see what everyone gets!!

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Received today!

• Options

I updated the list with folks who have confirmed with me that they have received their packages. I went back into my old messages and may have overlooked one, so if you have received your gift and I don't have you logged, please let me know.

11 more days before package rippage time!

Thanks!

• Options

Received!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Mine were shipped out several days ago

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options

1 more week...

• Options

got my gift yesterday and cannot wait to open it

asked for any additions to my Tom Brady Master set or my HOF quarterback set

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Bummer I missed the gift exchange, one of my favorite things on this forum.

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

We are at 100% gifts received. Great job guys! Now Tuesday can't come soon enough :)

• Options

I'll admit, I peeked. Jenny must have been my secret Santa. A sealed case of '71 baseball wasn't on my want list, but I guess I'll take it.

• Options

Dang, you broke the rules - no cards for you! I told Jenny to keep it inconspicuous. I guess you can just now send me one of those minty fresh 71 boxes.

• Options

OK--I am guessing that someone peeked---fess up. What did you get?????

• Options

I haven't...have you manny?? Lol